Chapter 14

Mateo couldn't remember the last time he enjoyed himself this much on a night out and he didn't realize just how much he wanted a night like this with Maia.

There was no underlying task of providing her with inspiration for her book. They were simply enjoying time together. Not as a muse and an author, but as friends parading as lovers and while that last bit was an act, it didn't feel that way tonight.

It felt real and he was happy to drown in this feeling for as long as he could.

"Thanks for coming out with me," Maia said, smiling up at him as they sat in a secluded booth in the little dive bar at the edge of town. "I'm having a really good time with you."

"I am too," he said, wrapping his arm around her and chuckling softly as he kissed her head. "Even though everyone is watching us."

"Of course." She grinned, leaning into him as she gazed out at the cramped dance floor. "We're a hot topic in a small town."

"Mm-hm, but I'm starting to get used to it," he said, glancing away from her to Sven glaring at them from his perch at the bar. "Do you think your ex is taking the hint this time?"

"Probably not," she said, giggling. "But I'm enjoying that jealous look on his face."

"Are you?" he said, sliding his fingers to her chin and turning her face to him. "Should we give him a little show?"

"Sure," she said, sliding her hand over his chest and stirring a need in his gut. "What do you have in mind?"

His heart thumped in anticipation as he stared at her succulent lips. "I'm feeling a little bold tonight," he said, caressing her bottom lip with his thumb. "Can I kiss you?"

"You can," she said, curling her fingers around the lapel of his shirt. "But we have a word for that."

"We do," he said, sliding his hand to the base of her neck. "Framboos," he whispered and the moment he caught her soft sweet lips against his, the music, the low rumble of chatter and the crowded bar fell away as he was swept up in the taste of her.

"Mm, we should do this more often," Maia murmured, nibbling his bottom lip as she slid her legs over his. "I like your mouth," she whispered, kissing him again.

He knew he should stop. He kissed the side of her mouth dragging his lips across her smooth skin to her ear. They were both drunk and they'd probably made enough of a scene for her ex. "I can do many things with my mouth, liefje," he said, sliding his hand over her thigh and cupping her ass.

But God, he wanted so much more than her kisses.

A drink slammed against the table, shattering the sensuous world they'd fallen into. "You're making a fool of yourself, Maia."

Maia sighed, glaring up at Sven. "Why do you care?"

"Because it's not right," Sven seethed, waving his hand over the bar. "Making out in front of all these people. I'd never treat you like this."

"Of course not." Maia smirked. "You were too ashamed to be with me."

"No, that's not what I meant," Sven said, gripping the glass in his hand. "He's treating you –"

"Like I don't care who sees how much I adore her?" Mateo said, holding Maia tight. "Let's get out of here." He pressed a kiss to her head. "We don't have to explain ourselves to this asshole."

"No we don't," she said, grinning as she trailed her fingers over his neck. "Let's go home so you can adore me in private."

"Mm, gladly," he said, taking her hand as they slid from the booth.