Chapter 45

Mateo's hand shook in Maia's as they waited for the palace doors to open.

Everything felt like it was moving too fast. The accident, the protest, his step mother's deceit...

He closed his eyes and sucked in a breath.

Becoming King.

In less than twenty-four hours.

He wasn't ready to address the people.

He squeezed the slip of paper in his hand. A simple speech he and Maia threw together while Demetri worked his magic on them.

Mateo let out a slow breath.

All he wanted to do was crawl into bed with Maia and have a moment to process what happened to them.

Opening his eyes as he turned to Maia. "We're not doing this," he said, unfastening the sash across her shoulder.

"What do you mean?" She frowned, grasping his hands. "You have to speak to the people, Mateo. They should know you're alive."

"I know, but not like this," he said, tugging her sash off and slipping his over his head. "I'm sorry, father, but I won't be speaking to the people as king." He held the sashes out to his father who was watching them with wide eyes. "Not right now."

"But...but why not?" he said, taking the sashes from him.

"Because Maia and I have been through enough," he said, turning to her and sliding his hands to her cheeks. "And I want to announce this when we're both ready. After we've had some sleep and a few moments of peace. Is that okay with you?"

Maia's weary eyes filled with relief. "Yes," she said, wrapping her arms around his waist. "Let's not complicate this any more than it needs to be."

Mateo nodded, pressing a kiss to her forehead before he looked at his father and his sister. "We're going to make this speech and then Maia and I are retiring to Vijverwoud. In the meantime, you will handle things here until we're ready to come back."

Adrie and his father bowed their heads. "Of course, Your Majesty."

Mateo looked down at Maia and thread his fingers through hers. "Are you ready, liefje?"

She took a deep breath and squeezed his hand. "I am."

Mateo kissed her cheek before he turned to Ruben. "Open the doors."

"As you wish, Your Highness."

Mateo held Maia close as they were driven away from the palace and the barrage of cameras and reporters in the swell of the joyous crowds chanting 'long live Prince Hendrik' and 'long live Miss Jefferies

Mateo held Maia close as they were driven away from the palace and the barrage of cameras and reporters in the swell of the joyous crowds chanting 'long live Prince Hendrik' and 'long live Miss Jefferies.'

for a few days while he and Maia took care of themselves under the watchful eyes of Eline who refused to be anywhere without him.

Looking across the car at Eline twisting her black rebel beret in her hands. She refused to go anywhere without him and demanded to keep a watchful eye on him and Maia while they rested in Vijverwoud. His heart sank that she was so afraid something was going to happen to them again, but he understood. He barely wanted to be anywhere without Maia after the scare she gave him from the attack.