Chapter 18

"YOU'RE ENGAGED TO MAIA JEFFERIES!"

Eline exclaimed with excitement as Mateo held the phone away from his ear.

"Why didn't you tell me?! How did you meet? Do you think she'd sign all of my books?" Eline gushed. "Oh my God! I can't believe I'm going to meet her!"

"Slow down Eline." Mateo laughed as he turned off the lights in the living room and shuffled down the hall to his room. "To answer your questions. Maia is my neighbor, that's how we met and I'm sure she'd love to sign your books."

"I thought something was up with her. Maia's insta has been mighty romantic lately."

"She's a romance writer isn't that how she's supposed to be on that platform?"

"Yeah, but she's been dropping subtle hints that she's with someone, but I'm shocked about this engagement. Aren't you moving a little fast? She's only been posting like this for about a month or so."

"Well, the engagement is a shock to me too."

"Oh shit." Eline whispered. "So, it's true. Dad really is trying to set you up to be king instead of Jorien?"

"Mm-hm and let me guess, he hasn't told Jorien anything, has he?"

"No, the coronation is still being planned," Eline said, groaning. "What the hell is he doing?"

"You tell me. I've been out of the loop for a year and a half. This seems drastic to me."

"Well, Adrie told me the council isn't in favor of Jorien being king and he's not exactly popular with the people either. Not with that rumor going around."

"Dad told me about that, but come on. It's Jorien." Mateo scrunched up his face. "He's too by the book to do anything like that."

"I don't know. Fear and jealousy can make you do some stupid shit."

"Okay, little psychologist," Mateo said, chuckling.

"No, I'm serious! Jorien's always been afraid of you taking the crown and you know he's always been jealous of your way with the people."

"Yeah, I guess, but I still don't believe he'd talk Saskia into doing what she did." Mateo yawned. "Anyway, I need to get some sleep. I'm meeting Maia's sister in the morning."

"Oo, meeting the family, huh? I guess you'd need to after your surprise engagement," Eline snickered. "I can't believe dad did that to you."

"Neither can I," he murmured.

"Alright, I'll let you get to sleep. Good luck tomorrow and I can't wait to meet Maia!"

"Thanks. Good night, Eline."

"Night Mateo, Love you."

"Love you too," he said, hanging up and frowned when Eline immediately sent him a message.

Eline >> Thought you might want to check out Maia's insta 😉<<

Mateo grinned, tapping on the link. He absolutely wanted to know what Maia was posting about on her Instagram page. She'd take a few pictures here and there on their outings, but he didn't know she was using them for her presence on social media.

 She'd take a few pictures here and there on their outings, but he didn't know she was using them for her presence on social media