Chapter 19

Maia and her sister were like night and day. While Maia was short, bubbly and curvaceous, Faye was tall, lithe and calculated to the point that Mateo almost felt the need to stand at attention when Maia introduced them. He soon realized after a few sips of coffee and a few bites to eat, Faye's sharp brown eyed gaze softened.

"Oh my goodness," Faye said, leaning back in her chair as she dapped a napkin around her mouth. "Thank you so much for that delicious omelet. I feel a bit more human now."

"You're welcome," Mateo said, refilling her and Maia's cups of coffee. "Glad you enjoyed it."

"I did," Faye grinned, tucking her bronze chin length hair behind her ear. "And I'm happy to know you've been making sure Maia eats a decent meal."

"Oh yeah, of course. That was one of our agreements to me being her muse especially after I saw the dire state of her fridge."

"Mm-hm." Faye turned her gaze to Maia. "I knew you weren't eating out here."

"I was!"

"Coffee and muffins don't count." Faye and Mateo said.

Maia rolled her eyes. "Alright you two," she huffed. "I'm glad you can bond over something, but we're not here to discuss my eating habits."

"No, you're right. We're not," Faye said as she tugged out a leather business portfolio from her purse. "And while I'm glad we're on the same page about Maia's health, I'd like to know how the fuck you got her into this engagement situation?"

Mateo gulped at the stern look in Faye's eyes and he wished Maia hadn't rushed this conversation along because it didn't sound like Faye was going to go along with this. He thought he could do this, but if Faye didn't think the situation was good for Maia's image, Mateo wasn't sure he was ready to say goodbye to Maia.

"It's not his fault," Maia said, sliding a hand over his shaking thigh. "I was the one who got us into this."

Faye raised an eyebrow. "How? I know you started the whole fake relationship because of Sven, but how did that lead to an engagement announcement to a goddamn Prince?" she said, pointing her pen at Mateo. "And you should've had the decency to divulge that kind of information when you signed the contract to be Maia's muse. That's something you should at least tell an agent in confidence so I can be prepared for shit like this."

"I know." Mateo sighed as guilt slithered down his spine. "And I'm sorry for that, but I've been keeping my identity a secret for a while out here. I didn't know Sven knew anyone related to my family."

"Of course it was Sven." Faye shook her head as she scribbled a note on her pad. "He's going to be the first one talking shit to the press about you two," she grumbled. "I need to know everything. What's your backstory, how many people know about your relationship and why this announcement was made in the first place."

Mateo's heart thumped. "You're not going to talk us out of this?"

"Oh I would love to, but I know my sister and nothing I say is going to change her mind about this and it wouldn't help if I tried to." Faye sighed. "A reporter from a Dutch newspaper already called me asking about you, so the news is going to spread soon and while I don't agree with this," she said, clasping her hands over her ledger. "The agency is going to love the publicity especially since it adds to your brand being engaged to a Prince and I need to make sure you two don't fuck this up."

"We don't plan on messing this up. Mateo's reputation is on the line with this too."

"I'm sure it is," Faye said, swiping up her pen. "So, tell it to me straight. Why are you hiding and what's on the line for you?"