Chapter 33

"You and I should catch up sometime too, Hendrik," Jorien said, getting up from the table. "If you're planning on staying for a while, we can talk about what your duties as Prince will be like now."

"That's a lovely idea," Gesina said, rubbing her baby bump. "Jan and Emiel would love to see their uncle and meet your fiancée too."

"Yes, I'm sure we can arrange something," Mateo said, raising an eyebrow at his little brother. "I wasn't aware you were in charge of setting everyone's royal duties now."

"Ah yes." Jorien grinned. "As I'll be crowned as king soon, father gave me the responsibility of setting our family's agenda, isn't that right?" he said, patting a hand on their father's shoulder.

"Yes, I did. So it'd be good for you two to talk about how you can work together," their father said, gesturing to the door. "Come on, Hendrik. I don't want you to keep Maia waiting for too long."

"Right, you two enjoy your chat," Jorien said, smiling as he grasped Mateo's arm. "And truly, I'm glad you're home and you've found someone who treats you better than Saskia. You deserve that."

Mateo nodded, patting a hand over his brother's. "Thank you. That means a lot Jorien," he said, feigning a smile just as fake as his brother's sentiment. "I'll be sure to stop by and see my nephews with Maia soon.'

"We look forward to it," Gesina said, slipping her arm through Jorien's. "Have a good night."

Mateo and his father bid gold night to Adrie and Levi again as they passed them in the hallway speaking to his mother on their way to his father's work chambers at the far end of the palace.

"Prince Hendrik! I was hoping I'd see you before you left this evening," Lars said, popping his head out from the security office outside of his father's chambers. "I'm sorry I wasn't able to travel with Willem and the others to collect you and your fiancée."

"It's not a problem," Mateo said, smiling as he gave the tall balding, green-eyed man a firm handshake. "It's good to see you, Lars."

"You as well, Your Highness," Lars said, squeezing his hand. "I'm sure you and King Harald have a lot to discuss."

"We do. We'll be in my inner chambers if anyone needs us."

"Of course," Lars said, bowing.

Mateo frowned as he followed his father through his office to a key coded door at the far end of it. "Why are we going to your inner chambers? Surely, it's safe enough to speak here with Lars outside the door."

His father shook his head as the sleek black door slid back and he stepped inside a smaller meeting space lit up with iron scones on the thick stone walls. Mateo had only ever been in his father's inner chamber once when he was a child.

"I'm far more paranoid these days," his father said as he turned to him and wrapped his arms around him. "I'm so glad you're home, son."

"I am too," Mateo said, hugging him back. "But what's got you like this?" He pulled away from him to search his father's worried brown eyes. "Willem told me the deals that Jorien's making, but having to use your inner chamber to speak to me." Mateo shook his head. "This isn't like you."

His father heaved a deep sigh. "I know," he said, dragging a hand through his hair as he took a seat in a plush leather chair at the table and gestured for Mateo to join him. "I don't know where I went wrong or how this happened, but after you left, Jorien was almost too eager to take over your duties of business and property management."

Harald shook his head. "I thought he was just trying to be helpful, but I soon learned Jorien had other plans," he said, getting up and opening a small filing cabinet in the corner of the room. "I know Willem told you about the deals Jorien's been making, but it's worse than I thought."