Chapter 30

Jorien scowled at the newspaper's headline boasting of his brother's return with his beautiful fiancée and a tasteful picture of them kissing in an empty art gallery plastered across the front page.

"It's so nice to see Hendrik in the newspaper without it being a scandal for once."

Jorien rolled his eyes. "I'm sure that'll change. It always does and Hendrik can't help himself." He scoffed. "Frankly, I don't understand why he's even coming back."

"Well I'm sure Adrie would like her brother to be at her wedding and wouldn't you like him to be at your coronation?"

Jorien grit his teeth. "I don't know. Am I having a coronation, mother? There's been an awful amount of talk in the council about father getting cold feet because of those ridiculous rumors about me."

"Oh, don't listen to them," his mother said, waving him off. "Your coronation is going to go ahead as planned. Your father isn't getting cold feet. He's just happy Hendrik has gotten his life together and he's coming home. If you're so worried, why don't you talk to your father about it?"

"I have, but it always ends in an argument. He doesn't understand my vision for Oost den Burg and that's why I think he's begged Hendrik to come home with his made up fiancée," Jorien said, folding the newspaper. "It's like this woman has appeared in his life out of thin air."

"Mm, or maybe Hendrik has finally learned his lesson and he's being more private about his relationship." His mother shrugged. "And there's nothing wrong with your vision for this country, you just want to make it more profitable for the people. Your father will come to understand that. He's been king for a long time and having you take his place with your big new ideas is scary for him."

"If I was his precious Hendrik, I bet he wouldn't be so afraid of giving me the crown."

"Stop that." His mother huffed, slamming her tea cup on the table. "You were raised to be your father's successor. He chose you over Hendrik because he saw greatness in you, Jorien and Hendrik isn't coming home to take that from you. You know he's never wanted to be king. He barely likes being a prince." His mother laughed. "So get those thoughts out of your head, my love."

Jorien smiled. "Yeah, I guess you're right, mother," he said, getting up from the table to kiss her cheek. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, dear," she said, patting his cheek. "Thank you for coming to have breakfast with me, but shouldn't you and Gesina be preparing for that interview about the new children's centre she's opening?"

"Yes, I told Gesi I'd meet her and the children there," he said, checking his watch. "I just hope the interview isn't overshadowed by Hendrik and his fiancée arriving today."

"Don't let it bother you if you're asked some questions about them," his mother said, straightening his tie. "Just be cordial and say that you'll be meeting Miss Jefferies this evening for a family dinner."

"I will." Jorien chuckled. "This is going to be some family dinner. The last time we were all together like this we were telling Hendrik to leave and now we have to pretend that never happened because father is proud of him again."

"I'm proud of him too and no one's asking you to pretend it didn't happen, but just be nice. I don't think he's staying any longer than for the wedding and the coronation," she said, nudging his shoulder. "Now, go on and remind the people why you're going to be the next king of Oost den Burg."

"I will," he said, kissing her cheek before he left his mother's private sitting room. He tugged his phone from his pocket to check his messages and a smile curled over his lips.

S.E. >> Sven has agreed to my terms and Don X is pleased with your choice of a children's center as a cover up. My father has lined up a few more buyers signing up to your deal. Everything is going to plan. <<