Chapter 41

"Are you sure you want to question this guy with me?" Mateo said as he and Maia walked to the makeshift interview room in the shed attached to the cottage.

She nodded. "Yes. I want to hear what he has to say as much as you do."

"Mm, there's a chance he might not know anything or be willing to tell us anything."

"I know and I'm sure Willem has some creative ways of making him talk," she said, squeezing his hand. "If it comes to that, I'll excuse myself."

Mateo brought her hand to his lips. "Thank you."

"He's all tied up for you," Cornelis said as he stepped out of the shed. "Good luck."

"Thanks," Mateo said as he and Maia walked into the darkened room with a single light shining above a man hunched over in a chair with a brown sack over his head.

"Just kill me already," the man muffled as Maia and Mateo took their seats across from him.

"You're not dying today," Willem said, pulling the sack from the man's head. "Prince Hendrik and Miss Jefferies would like to ask you some questions first."

The man's deep green eyes grew wide. "No," he whispered as tears pooled in his eyes. "You should be dead."

"Yes, but we're not," Mateo said, clasping his hands in front of him. "And I want to know who hired you and your partner to kill me and my fiancée."

The man shook his greasy black head of hair as tears rolled down his cheeks. "I can't. They have my family."

"Who has your family?" Willem said, leaning against the table as he crossed his arms.

"No." The man shook his head again. "They'll kill them if I say anything."

"What if we told you we already know who hired you, but we just need you to confirm it?" Maia said. "And if you confirm it, I'm sure Prince Hendrik would agree to make sure your family is protected, right?"

"I could." Mateo nodded. "But it would depend on what kind of information we're given

"I-I can tell you everything I know about the attack, but I'd need to know my family is safe first."

"No, that's not how this is going to work," Mateo smirked. "You're going to tell us everything you know about the people you're working with and the attack and only then, will I agree to provide protection for you and your family. Otherwise," he said, nodding to Willem, who slipped a gun from his holster and pointed it at the man's head. "You won't be leaving here alive and your family will be killed once I reveal myself."

The man closed his eyes and hung his head in defeat as he cursed under his breath. "I'll tell you what I know."

"No lies," WIllem said, pressing the gun to the side of his head. "I'll know and this won't end well for you."

"It's not going to end well for me no matter what I do," the man grumbled. "You're never going to let me see my family again, but at least they'll have a chance."

"I'm not that heartless," Mateo said. "If you cooperate with us, I'll grant you visiting rights in prison."

"Thank you."

Willem clipped the safety on the gun and took a seat at the head of the table. "Now, tells us your name and what you know."

The man sighed. "My name is Bas Padilla. I work for Arnaud Haro and I was contracted to murder Prince Hendrik and Maia Jefferies."

"Why?" Maia asked.

"Because Mr. Haro has a keen interest in Prince Jorien becoming king. I don't know why, but I imagine it's to extend his cartel to Oost den Burg and when he wants you to do something, he'll make sure you comply whether you want to or not. This was supposed to be my last job for him." Bas scoffed. "And I guess it is."