Chapter 36

"I'm sorry about that with Saskia," Mateo said as he and Maia sat on a blanket under a big blooming tree at the edge of the park beyond the market. "I didn't think she'd approach us like that."

"It's okay. We knew they were following us." Maia shrugged as she ate a brownie from the basket of treats they picked up from the market. "But I have to say, she's mighty bold and very beautiful. I can see why you fell for her."

Mateo raised an eyebrow. "Can you?"

"Yes." Maia chuckled. "You definitely have a thing for curvaceous women."

"I do." Mateo grinned, sliding his hand over his hip. "I prefer women I can hold on to."

"Mm, but what I don't get is you knew those other men and women who kept circling around us were ploys to distract you from me," she said, looking away from him as the irritating itch of jealousy snaked its way around her heart. She knew he was promiscuous, but the thought if him wanting someone else without her struck a nerve. "Is that how you were with her? Always looking for someone else?"

"That's how I used to be and I got tired of it. I was never satisfied and I never wanted to get close to anyone or believed I could until I read your books and I met Saskia." Mateo curled his fingers around her chin, turning her face to his. "But I told you, I only saw what I wanted to see in her and I'm not looking for anyone else. I love you, Maia," he said, kissing her softly. "I don't want anyone else in our relationship unless we both agree to it."

Maia slid her hand to his cheek, searching his eyes for anything other than the truth swirling in his brown depths. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. You're all I want, liefje," he said, taking hwr hand and kissing her palm. "Is this what you want?"

"Yes," A smile tugged at her lips as the grip of jealousy released her. "I'm sorry. I think I just got a little unsure for a second."

"There's nothing to apologize for. I think that's what our exes were hoping for," he said, leaning over and pressing a kiss to her forehead. "It's also why I'm always going to check in with you. We're still getting to know each other and I never want you to do anything you don't want just to appease me."

"I know and thank you," she said, pressing her forehead against his. "I love you, mijn prins."

"I love you too," he said, kissing her softly. "Now that we cleared that up, I would love to know what you think of the city so far, mijn prinses? Does it give you the same vibes as Vijverwoud?"

"It doesn't give me the same vibe as the manor," Maia said, leaning away from him and gazed out at the rolling green grass that bled into the sea wall at the edge of the park. There were groups of people enjoying their lunch while inconspicuously snapping a few photos of them as they ate or passed by. "But so far, I like it. The people seem nice enough. I'm sure that's because I'm with you, but it has a lovely feel like Amsterdam."

"That's good, but the people aren't being nice because you're with me," he said, shaking his head. "That has everything to do with how lovely you are."

Maia raised an eyebrow. "You don't give yourself enough credit, sir. It seemed to me like everyone was happy to welcome their prince home."

"Yeah." He laughed. "It's been a long time since the people have received me the way they did today."

"And after what you've been through," she said, threading her fingers through his. "I'm sure it feels good."

"It does," he said, bringing her hand to his lips. "But it feels even better with you here."