Chapter 2 : An array of callers

The day after the Debutante Ball started with a promising morning as a huge crowd of gentlemen were seen entering the Gibson estate. It was evident that Emilia had made quite the impression last night. Lady Gibson, of course, was giddy with excitement as she welcomed the gentlemen one by one.

At last, there was Earl Bancroft, who was the last one to arrive with a beautiful boque of flowers.

"My apologies, Miss Chbosky, I didn't intend to be late." He placed the flower on Emilia's hands, smiling politely.

Emilia returned the smile with same politeness. She was surprisingly graceful in every manner that mattered , and undoubtedly, one of the most desirable young ladies of this season. Her beautiful long curly red hair was tied in an elegant updo, her emarald green eyes appeared extremely attractive on her smooth pale skin.

"The earl seemed quite taken in with you, dearest. I'm sensing there will be a proposal soon." Lady Gibson said as soon as Lord Bancroft left.

"A proposal? B-but, that would be too soon, lady Gibson! Why, I don't even know him well yet!"

"Oh you'll have plenty of time for that after marriage" Lady Gibson waved her hand dismissively, rushing off to the stairs to give the housekeeper some instructions.

Emilia was quite overwhelmed. Of course, she had wanted to marry a man of nobility and an earl would be a dream coming true indeed, specially someone as kind and handsome as lord Bancroft, but she couldn't help feeling a little upset. Perhaps she still held hope to meet the mystery man again?

Emilia scolded herself. She wasn't there to find "love" or some silly infatuation, she needed a deal : a practical marriage of mutual agreement. She straightened her gown, looked up with a new determination on her face, and convinced herself to find a suitor who'd meet the requirements of her marriage conditions.

If lady Gibson was right and if the earl truly intended to marry her, then so be it.
*****************
After three tiresome weeks of endless balls and dancing and arrival of various suitors, the earl invited the Gibsons for a soiree at the Bancroft estate.

"You know what it means, dear? I think he is going to do it tonight!" Lady Gibson brought out an extremely exquisite gown of light blue with beautiful needlework and smiled at her. Emilia felt quite happy too, she had grown quite tired of the marriage market and was looking forward to finally settling down.

The soiree at the Bancroft estate looked splendid, indeed. As soon as Emilia stepped into the estate, the earl hurried to greet her.

"Miss Chbosky, there you're! May i introduce you to an old friend prince of Bamburgh, his highness Oliver Charmichael?"

Emilia stared at the man before her, stunned. He was that mystery man from the ballroom! He looked even more gorgeous from close, and gave a tiny, knowing smirk as he brushed his lips against Emilia's hand.

"A pleasure to meet you, Miss Chbosky." His voice was not smooth, it was intense, deep and had a certain husky undertone .Emilia shivered slightly at the intensity of the prince's gaze and voice.

"I heard he returned to Mayfair this morning after spending three weeks in Bamburgh." Emilia heard excited whispers around her. The arrival of the prince had caused quite a stir among the marriage minded young ladies and their mama's, no wonder.

Emilia was feeling very strange. The earl had been courting her steadily for three weeks and yet she hadn't felt the spark even once. The earl was very handsome, extremely eligible, kind and respectful. Just when Emilia had managed to convince herself that the earl would make an amazing husband , the arrival of her mystery man rattled everything inside her.

After dancing, the earl gathered everyone around the room.
"I believe I've a proposal to make." He smiled , staring directly at Emilia.

Several heads turned to Emilia, excited murmurs buzzing around the room. Emilia held her breath. As she prepared herself for the moment, a whiff of mahogany cologne caught her attention.

She turned around, only to see the prince standing right behind her. He wasn't looking at her, he was looking directly at the earl. He was closer than ever to her and as she shook a little her knuckles brushed against the prince's. Even that little touch sent electric sparks through her body.

....."Miss Chbosky, would you do me the honor of marrying me?" Emilia felt her throat getting dry, as she noticed all the faces looking right at her. Lady Gibson looked beside herself with happiness, as the other less fortunate young ladies looked at her with jealousy.

Emilia turned around to look behind her.

The prince was gone.

...."Miss Chbosky?" The earl asked again, a little confused.

Emilia had to make a decision. A decision based on practicality and a decision that'd benifit her family. She took a deep breath.

"Yes. I'd be most honoured to marry you, my lord."