Chapter 16 : Trouble In Heaven

Although the young royal couple seemed to have found their happily ever after, this couldn't be said for everyone.

As soon as the prince's grand nuptials were over, the queen took a newfound interest in a certain earl's mysterious disappearance. Something seemed amiss to her about the tale that Jeremy had presented and oh boy, was her highness absolutely correct in guessing so.

"Sick relative, you say, my child? Well then perhaps he should be able to make a visit for one day. Tell him, the queen demands his presence back at Mayfair as quickly as possible." Queen Charlotte said to Jeremy, softly enough, but Jeremy could sense the suspicion in her voice.

Jeremy decided to personally visit Theodore and take him back to Mayfair, as it was not possible to send Theodore a letter. He also wrote a letter to Emilia, informing her about everything.

Jeremy left to bring Theodore back at dawn the next day.

Little did he know, the queen had secretly sent one of her men to follow Jeremy. She was determined to uncover the truth about Theodore.

***************
Emilia was shocked to recieve Jeremy's letter. She felt extremely apprehensive, she had a feeling that Theodore was in for huge trouble indeed.

"I must return to Mayfair for a while. Seems like our friend might require my assistance." Emilia said as she showed Oliver the letter.

-"Oh....." The prince's face became increasingly serious as he read the letter.

-"Oliver, should I offer Ophelia a place to stay? I do not know of Theodore's fate, and nor do I have the power to sway the queen's mind, but I wish to provide Ophelia comfort amid this chaos." Emilia looked at Oliver thoughtfully.

-"It's your decision, your highness. Should you wish to invite a guest, she shall be welcomed with open arms." Oliver looked at Emilia, his lips forming an amused smile.

-"Very well then. I shall make arrangements for Ophelia in a room in our palace, and there will be a maid to take care of her health. " Emilia smiled.

-"I want to come to Mayfair with you, Emilia, to support Theodore in this while Ophelia resides safely here."

"And I shall send someone to fetch Ophelia." Emilia smiled softly, mentally planning all the ways she could help her friend in subtle manners.

***********
The queen's man returned to Mayfair before either Jeremy or Theodore did. He was extremely quick, indeed, and efficient too.

"He's... residing with a commoner young lady, Your highness." He bowed before her, not meeting her eyes.

-"Are they- are they married?" The queen asked, raising her eyebrows.

-"well, I do not think so. And she- she was with child."

-"A child out of wedlock and residing with a working class young woman! Well, that was surprising, I must confess. The earl has much to learn, and I'll make sure he learns it "

The queen smiled menacingly as she rose up from the seat, her lips curling upwards to form the beginning of a triumphant smile.