Chapter 9: Gossips and Scandals

It was Jeremy Bancroft.

The guests gasped and looked at each other in suprise.

Emilia and Theodore were shocked too, Jeremy was the last person they expected to object.

Miss Ruth yawned and looked at her nails. "Well, this is getting monotonous now. Is Jeremy secretly in love with Emilia too or what!-" she murmured to herself.

"My sincerest apologies, Ladies and gentlemen, I did not mean to let my objection be known so harshly. But an extremely urgent business has come up and the wedding must be called off." Jeremy said, awkwardly standing there as everyone still kept looking at him in shock.

He ushered Theodore to come outside to talk privately.

"What the hell Jeremy!-" Theodore couldn't help expressing his astonishment.

-"Ophelia is....expecting. Her mother sent me a message through my servant, requesting a meeting. So I went there, and when i returned the wedding had already started." Jeremy said, looking at the ground.

-"Expecting?" Theodore looked at him  like his mind had stopped working.

-"....a child, Theodore. Your child."

**************
Emilia, once again, did not know what to do. Theodore was outside, talking to Jeremy and meanwhile she had to endure the pitiful glances. The archbishop looked just as confused at her.

"Your Grace, I'm afraid this wedding will not proceed." Emilia said, just as the sound of a horse neighing caught her attention.

She knew the sound. It was the prince's horse.

"Am I late? Is the wedding over?" The prince practically ran into the room, panting.

-" Your highness, the wedding is cancelled." Emilia said, slowly approaching the prince.

-" Oh thank god- I mean, that's very tragic, Miss Chbosky. How are you holding up?" The prince went back to being his calm, serious self.

-"I am...quite alright." Emilia seemed amused at the prince's expressions.

The prince looked at Emilia urgently.
"Emilia, I mean Miss Chbosky, I've to tell you something, it's important-" but he quickly got interrupted as Lady Kimberly berged in. Seeing her, lady Gibson and Mrs. Chbosky joined in too.

-"Isn't it most surprising, my dear? I mean, I thought I'd find the bride to be more heartbroken."
After making this unnecessary comment, Lady Kimberly stared at Emilia, waiting for an explanation as to why Emilia was not on the floor weeping her hearts out.

-"I did not know you take so much pleasure in watching young ladies of your daughter's age cry, Lady Kimberly. Excuse me for not breaking down in front of you. " Emilia was smiling but her eyes were full of fire.

And with that,Emilia left to investigate what was happening outside.

***************
After many discussions and mild arguments, Jeremy, Theodore and Emilia came to the decision that it would be best for Theodore to run away with Ophelia and take her to a safe, secure place where he could take care of her until her pregnancy was over.

-"And you could take over as the temporary earl Bancroft, Jeremy. " Theodore said to Jeremy.

-"When people notice Theodore has gone missing, they will ask questions. You just have to keep quiet and appeal to the queen to take over his position temporarily. And Theodore would return eventually." Emilia said.

-"Thank you, Emilia, for supporting me in this decision. Because there's no way I would have left Ophelia in here to suffer alone." Theodore stood up.

-"we're leaving at midnight. I'm going to make preparations for our journey." He continued.
And with that, all three of them left, each bearing the pressure of keeping a huge scandal secret.

***********
"I've decided that.... I'm prepared to marry. " The prince announced at the dinner table, much to Queen Charlotte's surprise.

"Oh...son! Who is it? Vanessa Kimberly?" She asked excitedly.

-"No, mother. It is someone else. I do not know if she wishes to marry me yet, but I'm not going to run away from my feelings anymore."

-" You're a prince! Who could possibly refuse you?"

-" Well, she could." And the prince kept smiling to himself.

Emilia slept in her estate peacefully, not knowing what was coming the next day.