Chapter 15 : All Is Well

"The season is about to end, and you are not engaged yet!" Viscountess Kimberly yelled at Vanessa as the whole family sat in the estate's grand drawing room.

"The first time a Kimberly hasn't secured a match in their very first season." Viscount Kimberly continued in a grim voice.

"We have the Harold's Ball tonight, and I shall secure a match by the end of tonight, I promise you mama." Vanessa Kimberly said, lowering her eyes, looking at the ground.

She was so obsessed with the whole affair regarding Emilia and the prince, she never stopped for a moment to think what'd happen if she couldn't secure a match in her first season.

But she'd not let that happen. Now that Emilia was taken off from the market, she could peacefully continue her endeavours to secure another eligible suitor. And this time, she'd make sure there was no rival.

Vanessa dressed up in a dark purple gown, a diamond necklace around her neck, and her hair arranged in  an elegant style.

As she entered the ball that night, subtly swipping the fan in her hand across her chest, she became the centre of attraction and attention, something Vanessa dearly loved.

Perhaps Miss Ruth was right, perhaps she was never going to find love, it was not something she was capable of giving, or recieving. But she was going to give herself a respectable marriage deal.

"May I have this dance, miss Kimberly?" Lord Harold approached Vanessa, the host of the ball and also a baron.

"I've heard you've quite the knack for stirring up drama, Miss Kimberly, is that true?" Lord Harold asked Vanessa in an amused voice as they danced.

-"I do not know what you're referring to, my lord." Vanessa smiled innocently. It was amazing how these came so naturally to her.

-"Well, I shall not mind some drama in my awfully monotonous life. It will be a pleasant change indeed." Lord Harold smiled mischievously as he twirled her around.

Vanessa laughed a little, a genuine laugh, perhaps for the first time in her life as they kept dancing.

It was a little late, but maybe the thought of Vanessa Kimberly finding love wasn't so absurd after all.

*********
Theodore and Ophelia were still going through a very tough time. Theodore wanted to take care of her, provide for her, but Ophelia kept a distance from him and although Theodore wanted to respect her choices, he wanted to break her stubbornness at the same time.

It was a very cold evening and Theodore found Ophelia sitting on the entrance of the house, shivering with cold.

"I've lit up the fireplace, you can go sit there." Theodore said softly, standing with his back against the door frame.

-"I'll go, when you're done sitting there. I want to sit alone." She said. She'd rather die in cold than break her stubbornness.

-"Ophelia, it's not good for your health-"

-"I said I don't want to-"

-"Enough!" Theodore was once again frustrated, he couldn't keep seeing Ophelia making harmful choices and he certainly couldn't respect them.

"I know you're stubborn, but I'm not going to let you cause harm to yourself-" Theodore said as he lifted up Ophelia from the entrance floor, wrapping his arms around her tightly and crashing his lips against her.

"I can't stay away from you. I know what I said was wrong, but don't hurt me like this anymore, I beg of you."
He said in a deep voice as he  kissed her desperately, pulling her closer with every kiss and holding her close to his chest.

Ophelia stared at him with such pain in her eyes it broke his heart. He kissed her forehead gently.

"I promise I'll be the man you deserve. But I'm staying. With you. Forever." He embraced her again as Ophelia kissed him softly.

Finally, all was going well.