Chapter 6 : The Unexpected

Emilia was extremely surprised when she got Vanessa's invitation card for a tea. She wasn't exactly someone Emilia would normally enjoy a tea, or anything with, but she accepted anyway. It was evident that Vanessa had something to say and Emilia wanted to hear her out.

"Let's not get into meaningless pleasantries again, we're over that. " Vanessa smiled at Emilia venomously as she beckoned her to sit down.

"Of course, Vanessa. What do you have to say?" Emilia maintained her cool, positive demeanor.

Vanessa stared straight into Emilia's eyes and her smile vanished.
"I know the little sad love story that's going on between Earl Bancroft and.....a florist." She scrunched her nose in disgust as she muttered the word 'florist.'

"Wow... that's, quite a statement Vanessa. And do you have anything to support this statement or is it just an assumption?" Emilia still kept smiling despite the obvious storm going on in her mind.

"Oh it's so much more than an assumption, Emilia, even you know that. I just wanted to say-" Vanessa dropped her voice to a hush,-"Stay away from the prince and your little unrequited fantasy. Or this news about the earl will get out. People of Mayfair would love such a juicy drama, won't they?"

With that, Vanessa stood up and left with a grin on her face as if she and Emilia just had a nice friendly chat about gardening and which flower looked best with a light pink gown.

And Emilia's mind got caught a whirlwind of fear, doubts and apprehension.

***********
Theodore was completely flabbergasted when he heard about this news.
"you've to trust me, i maintained complete privacy!" He told Emilia, desperate to convince her.

"I do not doubt you, my lord. The best solution right now would be for us to get married soon and.... well you can keep seeing Ophelia once all this cools down ." Emilia said decisively.

-"And, you'll be alright with that?"
-" of course, why wouldn't I be?"
-"And what about the prince?"

-"what about him?he never showed much eagerness about my presence." Emilia bowed curtly and left to her room, hurt, insulted, and furious.

*******
It had been 3 days and Oliver hadn't seen Emilia in one single ball. It's not like he was fascinated by Emilia, he just liked her a bit more than he normally liked anyone.

Usually the ladies of Mayfair were known for their beauty and grace and well, that was it.  Those are the only two things that defined them but Emilia had a different energy around her.

She wasn't particularly intimidating or dominating and she was just as charming and sweet as any other Mayfair lady, but she looked like someone with self respect and self boundary and elegance. She did not look like someone who would kill you if you insulted her, but she sure wouldn't take it very lightly either.

"Your highness, good morning. You seem so worried, is all well?" Oliver whipped around to see Vanessa Kimberly.
Ah, Vanessa Kimberly. He did not understand this lady. She gave off major femme fatale energy but the prince was not sure why Vanessa was so intent upon courting him. Vanessa was stunning, belonged to one of the wealthiest families in Mayfair, she could court anyone she wished, another prince even.

"Miss Kimberly, so good to see you. I heard you are having a masquerade ball next day?" Oliver greeted her politely.

-" Indeed, your highness. And I'm here to personally invite you to the ball, and i would be very much honoured if you accompany me for the evening."

-"Miss Kimberly, we are not engaged, you're aware of that, yes?" Oliver looked amused.

-" Of course I'm, but nothing is wrong about a lady wanting to have the most eligible suitor of this season as her accompanion, I should think." Vanessa flashed a glowing smile.

-" Indeed, indeed. And who else are coming?"

-"The Harolds, the Stanley's, the Maxwell's, the-"

-"What about the Chbosky's?" Oliver cut her off in the middle.

-"Oh, I'm sure they're quite occupied with their..impending nuptials." Vanessa flashed that glowing smile again which looked suspicious to the prince for some reason.

"Nuptials. Right." Oliver closed the discussion for the moment but something told him it wasn't the nuptials that kept Emilia, or the earl Bancroft so occupied that they were unable to attend any social event. And he was going to find out what.

One thing about the prince, he hated not knowing what was going on around him.