Chapter 8 : I object

"I don't know why, but I've a feeling that this wedding would not go as smoothly as we're hoping." Mrs Chbosky said, staring intently at her daughter who was running her hand on her wedding dress fabric, looking as unexcited as possible.

"But Emilia looks happy! Doesn't she...?" Lady Gibson asked, genuinely confused.

"Look at her." Mrs Chbosky sighed.

And the two women looked at each other, apprehensive and worried.

**************
Theodore Bancroft was just as unexcited as Emilia. They both agreed to the marriage of convenience but it wasn't easy to actually perform.

"Brother, it's not your funeral." Theodore's brother, Jeremy Bancroft commented after observing his brother's glum face for a long, long time. "Would it kill you to smile a little?" He continued.

"I know it's my best choice to marry Emilia but well....." Theodore let out a prolonged sigh.

"Brother....you know I'm with you, right?" Jeremy smiled sympathetically at him.

-"Yes, Jeremy. You have no idea how much comfort that gives me."

Other than Emilia, Jeremy was the only one aware of Lord Bancroft's affair, and just like Emilia, he supported him, through and through.

Jeremy raised a glass.
"To the marriage of Friendship." He smiled.

"To the marriage of Friendship." And Theodore gulped down the wine in one go.

***************

Emilia was feeling the strangest feeling ever. She wanted the wedding to go well and then she wanted someone to stop it. She wanted it to go completely peacefully and then she wanted to somehow summon utter chaos that'd postpone it.

She was confused. Sad. Relieved. All in once.
She was sad because she had no romantic feelings for the earl, and she knew the earl didn't either.

And she was relived because the earl was understanding and a good friend to her. It was more complicated than anything Emilia had ever faced.

She got ready one hour ago, and was waiting in the parlour. Dressed in a pearly white gown and her hair tied in a beautiful knot, she looked like a melancholic princess. Beautiful, but oh.. so sad.

"Em.... it's time. " Mrs. Chbosky entered the room. She put on a brave smile but she knew, in her heart, this was not going to end well.

"Lord Gibson will walk you down the aisle, my dear. You look so lovely." She said, cupping Emilia's cheek. A look of understanding and misery passed between the mother and daughter.

***********
This was it. The wedding. Finally taking place. The priest had started reciting, but Theodore couldn't help looking around for a glimpse of the prettiest face in the world, associated with beautiful blond hair.

But she was nowhere to be seen.

"..  Should anyone present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace"- the priest said.

Well, well.

Emilia's half hoped no one would say yes.

Emilia half hoped someone would say yes.

"I object!" Came a voice from the crowd as several heads turned. Emilia felt like her heart was going to burst.

But it was not the prince.
It was somebody else.