VI

Selene could not believe her eyes. For so long she has never set eyes on another human being, only the creatures of the forest and the rabid wolves. Now, in front of her, stood a werewolf, growling and trying to reach the small...boy, maybe? In a trunk of the tree, the child was pushing his feet in the ground, putting as much space between the wolf's teeth and his tiny feet. 7, 8 perhaps? she tought. She quickly got out of her trance, too amazed by the sighting of human flesh. The boy's cries for help were shaking with fear. He was lucky he was fast enough to bury himself in the opening of the oak, even lukyer for his small frame. Otherwise, he would've been dead in an instant.

With graceful steps, she took long strikes towards the wolf. He was too engrossed in the child to even see her coming. She jumped over his wide frame, took out one arrow and shot it in his neck. With eyes full of suprise and anguish, the wolf fell down, limp. Oh, how many of you are out there?

Selene never understood how these wolf came to be so feral, bloodthirsty. Was it the lone life they were sentenced to live? Soren told her that most rogues didn't choose a life outside of a pack, but were banished due to some crime they comitted, the leaders, she understood, were called Alphas, would make decisions based on the pack's safety. If he deemed fit, the werewolf would become a rogue, a life of solitude, full of anger. All this though, why not try to help them? Were their crimes so unforgivable, it would drive one to make the decision of ending their life in a community? What about their family?

Selene shook her head. „These wolves...they never give up". She slowly approached the oak, lowered down and focused her eyes on the quivering boy. He made himself even smaller, if possible. 

„Don't be afraid, I won't hurt you". She tried to reach him with her hand. Selene lowered her head, so she can look at the face of the boy. His eyes went wide and his body still. Selene smiled at him, knowing it was the aura of safety, the protector in her that made the boy end his fears. „Would you like to come out of there? I promise he is gone now."

She stepped back, to make room for the child to crawl out of the hole. When he straightened himself, she chuckled. „You're so small, pup. What are you doing so far from home?"

„I am not small! I am 10!", he yelled at her, as if he was always mocked for his frame. 

„Ok, big boy. Let's go." She started walking in front of him. With his short legs, he ran to get next to her. 

„Where are we going?" 

„Well, it is almost dark outside, so there is no chance of returning you back today. We'll sleep tonight and I'll get you home in the morning." 

 „Ok".

Opening her front door, she ushered the child inside, at the table. It was not much, but it was enough for her. She had a small porch, where she would drink her tea in the morning and listen to the songs of the birds. Tiny windows surrounded the cottage, making it very bright inside, just how she liked it. There was a small table next to the kitchen, a bathroom and a room with a bed. Simple, yet home. Selene decorated the house with flowers and plants to give it more life, as her connection with them could not be ignored.

„I have some vegetable soup, if you are hungry." Like a clock, his tummy began grumbling. Laughing, Selene poured him a bowl and he began eating like it was his first meal in years. 

„Slow down, there is more if you'd like". 

„Do you have meat?", He asked her with a hopeful gleam in his eyes.

 „Sorry, pup, but I only eat meat in the winter." He accepted her answer, a little disappointed. „What's you name?" 

„I'm Selene." 

„My name is Mathias!"

When he finished eating, Mathias leaned back into the chair with a sad face. „What is it, pup?"

 „Max will be furious with me. I didn't mean to run off, but the trees were singing to me." 

„Where do you come from?" 

„Ironblood", he said with a proud smile. 

„Oh, which pack is this?" He looked at her as if she had 3 heads.

 „You don't know The Ironblood pack? It is the strongest, baddest pack in the whole world!" She chuckled. This kid was too much. 

„Ok, I will get you there in the morning." Selene got him down, pushed him gently towards her room and tucked him in. She watched his eyes close slowly. She couldn't help but think about her own family. Will she ever have a child of her own? A family? Someone she could love and trust, to spend her life with? The thoughts ran through her head, eventually reaching the conclusion that she should not think about these things, as they seemed impossible to her. After all, she was a lone soul, belonging to the forest. She smiled down at him.

„Goodnight, Mathias." As she was reaching for the handle, she heard a whisper.

 „Is this really Bloodwood Forest? Are we in the Cursed lands?" She looked back to him, furrowing her eyebrows.

 „The Cursed Lands? This is how people call the forest?" 

„Yes... how can you live here?" She looked down, thinking of an answer. 

„Mathias...", but he was sound asleep. A smile graced her lips and she closed his door. 

Selene made herself a cup of tea, took a seat in her front-porch chair and sighted. She looked around. „The Cursed Lands?" She could not understand why people gave her home this terrible, terrifying name. The woods are peaceful, quite, full of life. They were her treasure. Her eyes scanned the surroundings and she leaned back. Looking up in the sky, she saw the moon watching over her. And right next to it, a star shone bright. Her eyes became teary. 

„Hello father.... I hope you're good." She closed her eyes and fell asleep, under the watch of her beloved star.