XXXI

The moment she was destined for has come. The Goddess's gift for Selene was not meant to be taken lightly. It was, in fact, part of Artemis herself. Watching over her soul since the beginning, either in the form of Soren or the moon, she considered Selene like a daughter.

As a child, Selene was left in the shadows of a tree, which belonged to the Bloodwoods. At the cruel act of her parents, Artemis saw the girl's purity. She has been searching for a soul to bestow with her gift for a long time, knowing the danger that was lurking over Erebus, her beloved wolves. Angry, the Goddess gave the small baby the power of the nature, but she never really saw Selene, truly see her, until that moment. Artemis knew her choice was the best she could have ever made, as the woman's eyes have always portrayed the kindness and love she carried in her heart. She was indeed troubled by her loneliness, wanting to give her daughter everything in the world. As such, she made sure her guardian and protector stood by her. When the time came, Selene could no longer stay in the company of Soren, as his time on Earth was limited. Artemis mourned the sadness of Selene, feeling her despair at the loss. And then, she remembered.

Artemis has longed for love all her life, but could never have it. She was a deity, meant to watch over all her children, the wolves. When the opportunity presented, she tied Selene to another soul. It was uncommon. A werewolf mated to a human. A wolf's soul was different from that of a bare human's, but Selene was not just a human. So, the Goddess mated Selene to a werewolf fit for her power, a man with such strength, no one would dare cross the pair. A man with courage and a soul just as light as hers. He was born a King and she was born his Queen, Queen of the Moon.

At first, no one could comprehend what happened. It was unheard of, unseen. The battlefield was quiet, not a breath. The witch, Iolanda, with all her taunting and cruelty, stood still, eyes open, dead. Her gaze was still lingering on Selene. In a second's time, not really understanding what occurred, the old, wicked woman was now part of the nature. She was embedded in a willow. The trunk severed her body, going through her spine. Her mouth was open, with a thick root coming out of it. From her limp body, delicate branches hanged, with light green leaves attached. It was a sight to behold. Acheron was too stunned to move, looking at his former partner. His eyes moved from Selene to the willow and back.

Gathering themselves, the wolves launched forward and the battle began. Selene stood still, watching Acheron, the monster. With the corner of her eyes, she made sure Maximus was safe. He was on a rampage, driven by the will to protect his unborn pup. He slaughtered everything in sight, trying to reach the elder. Acheron entered the fight too, as his strength was a match of a Nighshade's.

Standing still, Selene's eyes began to tear. So much blood, so much death. When her sight fell on Troy, her heart broke. He was in front of his mate, a rabid rogue. Not having the power of attacking, let alone kill her, he was trying to keep her at a distance, but she was feral. The she wolf was constantly reaching for his throat, to take a bite, to end his life. But he was Selene's bonded. She couldn't let him die, but killing his mate would end his wolf, especially right in front of him. A surge of power, a whisper reached her.

"Remember.."

Selene closed her eyes and let her body be enveloped by the wind. Her hair was flowing behind her and had goosebumps on her arms. In an instant, she remembered. It wasn't her destiny to kill the witch, nor the elder. Her gift was meant for much more. Her light, her magic, the nature, they were part of her. She was the daughter of the Moon. She couldn't let the wolves die, nor destroy Erebus. But her fingertips were reaching forward. She let herself be led by the mother who looked over her all her life. She felt the true power of the Goddess flowing through her veins. It was enchanting. Her eyes were, for the first time, opened to the reality she was living in. She could see everything. The life around her was calling to her, the soul of the nature reaching her ears.