XXX

Word got around the packs of the war that was to come. Even though they didn't want to involve the other wolves, some remained loyal to Maximus. He had received their support and confirmation of them sending warriors to Ironblood. This would increase their number and give him more chances of winning. Maximus laid back into his office chair, thinking. He smelt her before she even touched the handle of the door. He sensed her distress.

"Moon?" he heard her sigh. Stepping inside, he looked at her tired face. He was worried about her and the fact that she was constantly connected to the wall she built up, the magic taking a toll on her health. 

"Come sit love." She gladly went to him. "Are you feeling ok? I don't want you to tire yourself."

"I'm fine, stop worrying so much." She smiled at him.

"You know I can't just stop worrying moon." 

"I know." She kissed his cheek and went to their room. It was late and she was exhausted from the last days of training and strategizing. 

Looking out the window, into the woods, she could feel her longing for the freedom she used to have. Of course, she loved Maximus and the pack, and her new life and duties, but she couldn't deny that the forest was and will always be a part of her. They were connected. She could feel its magic, every tree's root, spreading within the ground. She sensed the moon watching her, enveloping her face with her silver glow. A tear fell on her cheek. 

"Please protect them. Protect my pack. Protect my Maximus." She reached her hand on her belly. "Protect him." A lone star shone brightly in front of her eyes and she understood the message. He will watch over them. Selene smiled and turned around at the sound of the door opening. Maximus's gaze fell on her. He approached her, embracing her from behind. He leaned to kiss his mark on her neck.

"Let's go to bed moon. We have a hard day tomorrow too." She nodded and got under the soft covers, putting her hand around Maximus's abdomen. Her head resting on his shoulder, she closed her eyes, wishing tomorrow was not the day they will come.

They both woke up to the ringing sound of an alarm. It was so loud, Selene saw crows departing from the trees through the window. She gave Maximus a look of worry.

"Whatever happens today, know that I love you and I will forever be with you, even if you can not see me." His brows scrunched together with a look of confusion. 

"Nothing will happen to you moon. I will make sure of it." She gave him a crooked smile, hugging him like never before, as if she wanted to attach herself to him. They both got up and got dressed. Selene chose to wear her dress, a feeling of calming enveloping her at the touch of the soft material. 

Getting out of the house, all they saw was people rushing around, desperate. The royal couple looked at each other. 

"Quiet!" His Alpha voice was heard everywhere and all commotion stopped. They all turned to look at their King, his command too powerful to ignore. "You are the wolves of the royal pack. Act like it! I know you are scared, but we have to stand together. We are family."

The wolves listened to his words of ecouragement, feeling more confident. 

"Yes Alpha!"

Selene, holding Maximus's hand, walked forward, her eyes searching for their close friends. Gen was directing the children and non-fighting females to the entry of the tunnels. Troy was shouting orders at the Nighshades, who seemed to be longing to kill their enemy. As they reached him, all saluted the pair in respect.

"Alpha, Luna." they bowed their heads.

"Where's your Beta?" The warriors looked at each other.

"We don't know Alpha. Last I saw him, he went to the border, make sure it was still secure." At hearing this, Selene started running in the direction of the oaks. As she reached them, she saw Ben crouching, with his hand on the ground.