XVII

Selene took her time getting to her cottage. She walked with slow steps, taking in the feeling of the nature. It was special, like no other. She couldn't deny that she has missed her home, but nothing would compare to a life with Maximus. In such a short time, they have managed to develop a strong bond. She knew he loved her, it could be seen every time he looked at her. She loved him too, but didn't want to tell him yet. There was a small chance it could all be ripped away from her, because of the challenge.

Nearing her house, she heard noises. She approached the location of the growls and stood frozen. Three massive wolves were right in front of her eyes, feasting from a stag. Selene had recognized its antlers from the times she would walk along the stream behind her cottage, catching glimpses of the animal drinking water. He always kept calm at the sight of her, looking at each other in acknowledgement. Her heart felt like it shattered.

She charged at the werewolves, knife in hand. She ducked under the belly of the closest one and split it open, falling to the ground, dead. The other two finally took note of her presence and readied themselves to jump her. Fast, she avoided the wolf, but wasn't prepared for the third one to strike so quickly. Because they were rid of their humanity, these rogues were usually blood-driven, not thinking, just acting. However, these wolves were different. They looked concious, but feral, poisoned with hate and vengance. 

She fell to the ground with the wolf above her, keeping her body from moving. It tried to take a bite to her face, but she put her hands around his jaws, pushing hard. They struggled, the wolf not giving up. She reached with her right hand for the knife on the ground, just as she saw in the corner of her eye, the other wolf starting to stand up and moving towards her. Selene plunged the knife in its throat and it went limp above her. She was whimpering, trying to get out from under him before the last wolf reached her. Just as it jumped in the air, she rolled to the left, avoiding his form from landing right on her. She stood to her feet, with the knife in hand and a defensive stance. Selene was speechless as she watched the wolf circle her, waiting for the right moment to strike. What is this? This is not normal. The rogue began running. At the last moment, she moved, rolled, and threw the knife, landing right between his eyes.

She fell down, feeling defeated. She crawled to the stager's body. It didn't even looked like an animal anymore, only skin and blood. Its antlers were the only thing remaining. She cried her eyes out and used her magic to bloom a small willow from the ground. „I'm sorry", she said sobbing, „I'm sorry I wasn't here".

Tired, she felt her eyes close, passing out on the grass.

Waking up, she only saw darkness. Blinking a few times to adjust her sight, she got up and looked around. It was already night. Maximus will be mad. She hissed, aching everywhere. She was covered in blood, with cuts and bruises everywhere from the force of the wolf knocking her to the ground. 

She started stumbling towards the border with Ironblood, leaning from time to time into the trees. She was so tired. The forest parted, allowing her passage. She tried to walk faster, but her body would not let her. Yells could be heard, people running around the border. She felt their desperation. Maximus was in front of her in a blink of an eye, steading her.

„Moon! What happened?" She looked at him, grateful to have him by her side. She went limp in his arms, letting him take her to the house.

„Selene, love, tell me what happened. Where are you hurt?" She pointed to her back and leg. He began running to the pack doctor. The man in his late 40s assessed her injuries. He was not pleased by the gush running on her thigh. She didn't even notice it was there. Her back hurt a lot. Eventually, she closed her eyes, to the voice of her mate. „Moon, keep your eyes open. Selene!"

She felt like a car ran her over. Selene saw Maximus next to her, sitting on a chair too small for his big frame, fast asleep. She stirred, trying to sit up. The Alpha opened his eyes.

„You're awake. Oh, thank the goddess you are ok. The doctors said you need plenty of rest." She tried to sit up again. He leaned on her, helping her. „Thank you."

„What happened moon? I waited for you for hours. When it got dark, I knew there was something wrong. I was preparing to enter the forest when you just walked out of it."

„There were rogues...3 of them. Maximus, they didn't look like the normal rogues that come in the forest. They were not banished."

„Not banished? No sane wolf would enter the Bloodwood forest, rogue or not."

„I know" Maximus watched her, comprehending her words.

„How do you know they were not normal rogues?"

„They...looked alive. Usually, they go straight for the kill and because they are sloppy, thinking only of blood, they are easy to take down. These wolves...they attacked me together, worked together. One of them even stopped to circle me, look for a weakness. Maximus, this is not normal. I don't understand what is happening." Selene started sobbing in his shoulder. „They killed one of the creatures. I knew that stag since he was born. I watched him grow. They were savages."

Maximus comforted her, whispering soothing words to her. He understood her pain, as he knew she was in sync with the nature, especially her forest. If these wolves were as strange as she described to him, Erebus might have a bigger problem than they first thought.