IX

The morning came fast. Gathered outside, Maximus, together with his beta pair, his gamma and the Nightshades warriors were waiting for the appearance of Mathias. They were stood before the border, trying to look past the line of oaks. The forest was calling to them, like every time someone approached it. It was enchanted, they believed, drawing in souls to trap inside. But Maximus began questioning the stories of the High Order. If the Bloodwoods were so evil, how could his mate live there? Was she trapped herself? Trying to get out? No, it couldn't be. She directed Mathias outside, so she must know her way around the land. Was her soul tainted already? Would she be a kind Luna? Even though Maximus wanted his mate, he could not ignore his duty. A leaders' role was to take care of the pack, to give them a peaceful life in the Kingdom of Erebus. If his mate was not fit for being their Queen, too dark, could he live without her? Reject her?

Mathias and Amelia, hand in hand, approached them. The boy had a confused look on his face. „Are we going to see Selene? She makes the best tea ever!" They all looked at him with funny eyes, not believing this young pup was the one who finally found their Luna. Maximus craunched down to his level.

„We need you to call her. She knows your voice and maybe if she hears you, she will come." Mathias looked to the ground, ashamed and sad.

 „But I already asked her to come meet you. "She..she said no." Maximus tilted his head to the right, his heart breaking.

 „Did she tell you why?"

 „She said she couldn't leave her home." All eyes on the boy and their King, they felt sad. Gen put her hand on Maximus's shoulder. 

„Come one, let's try it."

Mathias stood in font of them, eyes towards the forest. He cupped his hands, brought them to his mouth and began shouting. „Selene!...Selene! It's Mathias!" No answer.

„Selene!" All were waiting patiently. After a few minutes of calling her name, Maximus decided it was enough and they would come back later to try again.

 „No, don't leave, I'm sure she'll come!", pleaded the pup. But they were already with the back to him, slowly strolling back to the house. Mathias stood in the same spot. „Selene!"

A ferocious growl was heard. Running towards his brother, a rogue, teeth out. They were already some feet away from him.

 „Mathias, Move!" The warriors sprinted back to him, trying to reach the wolf in time, before he would jump Mathias. Too late, they watched as the rogue push his back legs into the ground, jaws opened, ready to take a bite of the child's flesh.

It came as fast as lightning. The arrow pierced the wolf's neck and he fell down with a thud. Everyone stood frozen. „Selene!". They watched the boy run closer to the border, looking up. They followed his gaze, up in the oaks. You couldn't see anything, but Mathias knew she was there. 

„Selene, please come down. I promise they won't harm you." Maximus heard the softest giggle coming out from one of the top branches, music to his ears, but still no sight of his beloved mate. 

„Selene, everyone wants to meet you! They don't believe me! I told them you live in the Cursed Lands and they don't believe me." Mathias began tearing up, pleading for her. „Please.."

Smooth and quiet, Selene jumped from the branch, her long, silky dress flowing in the wind. She landed as if she was a feather, light on her feet. Mathias embraced her, and she put her hands around his small frame. „You came!" A soft smile graced her lips, amazed at the pup's persistance. He let her go eventually and Selene tilted her head up, back straight. Gasps were heard from the wolves.