XXIX

Preparing for battle was hard. After Selene finished her talk with the elder, she went back to Maximus. She sat next to him on the bed and he captured her in his arms at the feeling of her body laying besides him. In their minds, they knew it was the last time they would get the chance to be together for a while, so they savoured the moments.

In the morning, both gathered the Ironblood wolves, together with the Nightshades, and told them of the threat that was coming. At first, everyone panicked.

„Silence!" Selene stepped forward, after Maximus' order.

„I know this is scary, but we can fight it. We are the royal pack and no one can stand a chance against us. I will fight with you, for your children, for your mates and for Ironblood!" Maximus took his place next to her and held her arm, showing strength to the pack. After all, they were the King and Queen. If they fall, Erebus falls. When the announcement was over, they gathered the betas, gamma and the leader of the Nightshades at the table, to develop a strategy.

„We know they have an army, probably coming from the east. We have to strengthen the border there, put more wolves on patrol."

„They won't come from there." All heads turned to the elder. He approached the map on the table. „Here. They will come from here."

„But that's not possible. The Cursed Lands forbid entry or exit." Selene took the elders side.

„He's right. They will come from the forest. They have been entering it for years now. They have a witch."

„How do you know that? A witch?" Selene nodded.

„He told me everything he knows, last night. The witch, Iolanda, has been allowing them passage into the Bloodforest." Maximus growled, showing his teeth. 

"You were alone with him?" 

"He didn't do anything to me." She assured him, with a strong gaze.

„Didn't witches go extinct decades ago?"

„No, there are some left. They hide and keep to themselves." The elder added.

„Ok, we'll station warriors there, but it will be harder to protect it. We won't see them until they are too close."

„I can help." Heads turned to Selene's figure. „I can ask the forest to help us. We can strengthen the trees at the border and I will know when they are about to step onto it." Maximus sighted, not liking she has to use her powers so much.

„Moon, you don't have to.."

„Yes I do. This is my pack too. If I can protect it, I will." Her gaze softened. „Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. I've had practice with Troy. I can gain control."

„She's right. She did save me with her powers. Besides, what choice do we have?"

„Ok... but I still don't like it."

„What about the other packs? Do you want to ask for their help?"

„I don't think that's a good idea. They are not trained for fighting these rogues. The Nighshades are our best chance. We should station guards around the houses, make sure they are protected. When it's time, all the elders, females that are not trained and children will go in the underground tunnels."

„Tunnels?" Ben turned to explain it to Selene.

„After the former Queen died, Ethan became very paranoid. He built tunnels under the grounds that lead deep in the mountains. The entrances are hidden. If you don't know they exist, you won't find them. It was kept secret." She nodded her head. At least something good came from that man's rage.

„You'll go with them too, Selene."

„What? No I will not. I can fight, I can help the pack."

„You will help by being safe and keeping the wolves in control. They will listen to you and you'll calm them, Moon." Selene sighted.

„Maximus. All my life I've learned how to fight. Soren would train me all day sometimes. I never really understood the purpose of such harsh training, but I think it was for this. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. Gen can go with the wolves in the tunnels, she has as much of their trust and respect as I do." Maximus watched her determination. 

He didn't like it at all. What if something bad happened, what if he couldn't protect her if she needs it? But looking at her, he saw her true nature in her eyes. She wasn't just a little woman from the woods, helpless. She lived a hard life, alone, always protecting others, even if it was not humans. He knew she would resent him for denying her to fight and somehow, she would still manage to come to the battlefield.

„Ok Moon." She smiled brightly at him and he enjoyed her happiness. Maximus turned to the elder.

„When do you think they will come?"

„It could be a week or a few days, I can't tell. My brothers will snick out of the mansion and come here too. I ask you will give them the same curtesy you showed me. They are not at fault, they hate what Acheron is doing." Troy stepped forward.

„We'll provide shelter on 2 conditions. One, they will have to fight. You are all skilled warriors. Two, you will support our King and Queen for the rest of your lives and their future children."

„Agreed. We look up to your pack, King Maximus and to you and your mate. I can feel your power, my Queen, and it's exquisite to be in your presence."

„Thank you." She bowed her head a little in appreciation.

The rest of the day was spent gathering resources and stacking them in the tunnels. Food and water was their main goal. They needed to be prepared if the pack would have to reside for some time in the mountains. Selene and Genevieve talked with the families, making sure they know what to do when Acheron comes. You could feel they were scared, not knowing what was to come. But the females ensured them they will be safe. Worst case, they will have to leave the pack, but at least they won't be dead.

Selene followed Troy to the border, where she saw the Nighshades in a very intense training sessions. Maximus was shouting at them, pointing out their faults and mistakes. He was a very strict Alpha, more so now that they were going to be attacked. 

Selene let go of all her thoughts and focused on the oaks in front of her. She called to the nature, to the goddess, to aid her. The wind blew and even the warriors stopped to look at what was happening. When her eyes glew silver, roots came out of the ground, thick and strong. They rolled around each other, forming a defensive field at the border. They went high in the sky and it looked like they couldn't be budged from their place. If before, seeing anything past the trees was a challenge, now it was like a wall was built. It surrounded the Bloodwoods entirely.

„This should keep that witch from entering our pack." Satisfied, Selene turned to Troy and smiled. She saw the amazed look on his face and chuckled.

„Come on Troy, don't look at me like that. It's not like it's the first time you see it."

„Selene, I don't think I could ever get used to it." They approached the training grounds together and started their practice.