VII

Selene woke up at the sounds of Mathias pleading her to give him something to eat. If this is what it means to have a child, then I don't want it, the thought raced her mind, too tired and stiff from the uncomfortable chair. She rubbed her eyes, thinking that she will feed the child and then get him home. Suddenly, her face fell. What if this is the last time I will talk with someone, be near a human, someone like me?

„Why are you sad?". Mathias looked at her, feeling a deep connection to his saviour. He hugged her tightly. Selene was startled by this, not having any contact for so long. She embraced him too. She kissed the top of his fuzzy hair.

 „Let's get you something to eat and go on our way. You're parents must be worried."

 „I only have my mommy, daddy is with the goddess now." He ran in the house and took a seat at the table like he did the night before, eager to receive food. Selene giggled at his silliness, a little struck by his confession. Must've been hard for him growing up without a father.. I can't imagine not growing up with Soren. She gave him some fruits for breakfast and watched him eat them in a heartbeat. Oh well, wolves do eat fast.

„Thank you Selene! Can we play now? I can show you my fighting moves. When no one looks, I watch the warriors train" His eyes went big. „Please don't tell Max!". Selene laughed.

 „Ok, I won't... I'm sorry Mathias, but I have to get you back. Max must be worried about you."

 „Already? But I want to play with you. Can't we stay longer?" He looked at her with puppy eyes. How can I say no to him

„Ok, but just for a little while". He jumped, grabbed her hand and dragged her outside.

Mathias took a defensive stance, with his hands held in front of him and legs wide apart. Selene approached him, straightened his back and moved his feet closer.

 „You have to keep balance. Feet not to close, not to apart. Bend your knees and keep your hands higher, to protect your face and throat."

 „You know how to fight?"

 „A little.." Oh, if the pup knew what training she endured by Soren... Her father wanted to make sure she was a skilled hunter and fighter. Her powers could not always come in aid and she needed to be ready for anything.

They played for a while. Selene saw Mathias would become a skilled fighter in the future, he had the will and the heart. At first, the child didn't mind his surroundings, but then they took a walk around the forest and he became engrossed in it.

 „This place is so beautiful. But it looks nothing like how the elders tell us". 

„The elders?" 

„Yes, they are like a group that take care of alll the packs. They come if anything bad happens." His description made Selene even more confused. 

„And what did they tell you about the forest?" 

„Oh, that the Cursed Lands are forbidden to all. No one is allowed to come here. They make you die." He looked down. „Max will be so mad at me." Selene's heart melted at his worry. 

„Don't be upset. I'm sure Max will be happy to see that you are ok and nothing happened". 

„Ok Selene, if you say so.."

They took a stroll around the meadow, through the trees and back to her cottage. She got down on her knees, to look Mathias in the eyes. 

„I'm sorry little wolf, but I have to get you back now", his face fell. Suddenly, he had a glim in his eyes and a ear-to-ear smile. 

„Come with me!"

 „What?" 

„Come meet the pack and Max, I'm sure they will like you. Oh, and Eli, you would really like her. She always plays hide and seek with me. We can play together!" Selene could not look him in the eyes, as she knew she would not like to see his disappointment.

„I can't, little wolf. My place is here, in the forest, this is my home." 

„Oh...ok, but if you change your mind, please come. I can take you to see the warriors train!". A soft smile graced her lips.

" Ok, Mathias, I'll make sure if I come, I'll ask for you". Hand in hand, they began the journey to the edge of the forest.

It got colder, the wind harsher, the longer they walked. Selene saw the child getting nervous. „Don't be scared, this is how the forest protects itself.

" What do you mean?"

 „Well, how you want to learn to fight and protect your pack, the woods do this too. They have to be able to scare away the bad people so no one would harm the forest, no?" 

„If you put it like that..."

As they neared the beginning of the border, she could feel Mathias' hand squeeze hers tighter. She melted at his gesture, understanding his need to get closer to her, as they were approaching their goodbyes. Selene stopped and put her hands on his shoulder.

 „Little wolf, it was a pleasure meeting you. I'm sorry our time was so short, but you have to get home now. I'm sure they are very worried about you." 

„I hope to see you again soon. Thank you for taking me back!"

She stood before the beginning of the border, where the line of tress was so thick, you could not see beyond them. Mathias watched in awe as Selene whispered words into the wind, like she was talking to the oaks, caressing them with her soothing voice. The child could not fathom what she was saying, but it seemed like a moment worth remembering for life. The forest parted, showing a path to light outside of the Bloodwoods. As if Selene asked them for permission and they opened passage for her. Mathias kissed her cheek and ran towards the sound of shouting, as the trees began closing behind him and Selene becoming a blur, like it was all a dream.

Indeed they were worried. Alpha Maximus has gathered all the Nighshades at the border of the Bloodwoods, shouting orders at them. He didn't even know if he survived the night, but he hoped his brother would be wise enough to hide until forces came. Unfortunately, there was no possibility of entering the Cursed Lands at night. Even with their advanced sight and hearing, the forest would not allow them to step more than a mile deeper. The trees were too dense and the darkness was so abisal, it was like walking with closed eyes. They couldn't see where they were going or if they were attacked. 

The High Order made the rule of no entry with reason, as it was one's worst nightmare to be condemned to The Banishment. There was no reason for anyone to enter. Max still couldn't understand how Mathias was able to go so deep, but was given the impression that with no supervision, his child mind would have had to be subdued to the forest's alluring whispers, with no control over his own self. Taking the risk of crossing the border during daylight was a problem itself. He believed his warriors were the best of the best, but not even he himself, a king, was no match to the nature's power, to the power of the goddess. But he would do anything for his brother. Sending encouriging words to his fellow wolves, they prepared for the worst.

„Max! Max!" He couldn't believe his eyes. Running towards him, ready to hug him, was Mathias.

„Mathias!" He looked down at him, checking for injuries. He saw none. „What happened? How did you manage to get out?" 

„Selene brought me, but she said she couldn't say hi."

Time stopped. Maximus inhaled deeply and closed his eyes, taking in the scent of his brother. He was speechless. Never had he smelled something so pleasurable, so enchanting. It was calling to him.

„Who did you say saved you?"

„Selene"

„Selene..." After so much waiting, Maximus had met his soulmate.