XX

Ben has proposed that his cousin be the one 'missing', as the wolf needed to be of higher rank blood. One day before the challenge, they sent her away, to one of her relatives living in one of the eastern packs, where no suspicion would arise. One of the most trusted warrior of Nightshade was informed in secrecy of their plot and he was the one to announce the news to the alpha. Once this was heard throughout the pack, it was just a matter of time until Alpha Magnus would fall in the trap.

Selene was sitting on the front porch, gazing at the stars, cup of tea in her hands.

„Moon, are you ok? Tell me what's wrong."

„Nothing's wrong. I just...I'm thinking of tomorrow. I've been training all my life, but never for such a fight. I am not allowed to use my powers and...Maximus, all I want is for us to be ok, safe, and for you to keep being Alpha King."

„Moon..."

„Everyone loves you. You are a true king, you love your pack and... I wouldn't forgive myself if I was the cause of you loosing your position."

„Selene, look at me." He cupped both her cheeks and looked straight into her eyes. „You don't have to worry. No one can compare to your skills, even if you are human. So what you can't use your powers? You told me that in the forest, you only used them after the rogues were dead. There is no difference."

„But this is no rogue. This is a gamma. A female Gamma. She is cruel. I heard Troy and Gen talking. She has held her position for years now and she is around our age. She is smart and will plan her attacks, not like the rogues in my home."

Maximus embraced her tightly. He understood where she was coming from, but the Luna Queen position was running through her veins. He was sure she was going to win.

„Let's stop thinking about tomorrow and enjoy this night together."

Selene woke up to a silent house. Early in the morning, she chose to take a shower, to ease her muscles and maybe get rid of the thoughts of the challenge. She spent some time in the kitchen, not even the cook, Nadia, awake. Suddenly, she saw Troy enter and take a sit next to her. He watched her intenslly.

„Come on, Selene. Tell me."

„Tell you what?"

„What makes you so worried."

„Troy...nothing's wrong."

„Don't bullshit me." He knew she didn't like swear words, but said it anyway. „I've seen your lost looks in the last few days. I know you are concerned for the challenge." Selene stared at him.

 „ Luna" He also knew she despised him calling her Luna. She glared at him. „You managed to beat the gamma of Ironblood, the royal pack, without breaking a sweat. You literally had me in the first 10 seconds." They both chuckled. „Why in the Goddess's name are you so afraid?"

„If I don't win...everyone looses. Maximus will no longer be King, you will probably be replaced by whoever the next Alpha king will choose, the pack will.."

„The pack will nothing. Maximus made his decision. I made my decision. Just because some things will change, it doesn't mean it will be your fault. We all love you. We would not, ever, blame you. Besides, you won't loose." He winked at her. Selene was grateful for his words, but she still felt the worry, the huge responsabillity on her shoulders. What if the next alpha will be cruel? What if, for some reason, the next alpha will be alpha Magnus? She could never let that happen. Selene cared too much for Ironblood and for her friends, for her love, to let that be the future of the Kingdom.

*********************

„Oh, it's just as we hoped for. He marked her. There is not coming back."