Steady | Jotaro Kujo

• Jotaro Kujo x gn reader.

• Warnings: Smoking, brief discussion of a traumatic past.

• Summary: You and Jotaro talk about your future while smoking at two in the morning.

---

"Marlboros?"

You narrow your eyes at the brooding man who sat beside you while sticking the stick of nicotine inside your mouth.

It's about two in the morning, and you and Jotaro are at the top of an empty parking garage, sitting on the edge of your truck bed, overlooking the entirety of your college campus. Lucky for both of you, you didn't have class until late afternoon that day, so there didn't seem to be a problem hanging out until Jotaro made a snide comment about your goddamn choice of cigarettes.

"Yes. Is there a problem?" You mumble, words muddled by the cigarette in your mouth while your hand fumbles around in your sweatshirt pocket for your lighter.

He scoffs at you, shaking his head at your attempts to find your lighter when he simply reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out a vintage gold-plated lighter.

Your eyes widened at it, simultaneously haunting your movements in searching for your lighter.

"Where'd you get that from?" You place the cigarette in between your fingers and lean in close to Jotaro who quickly opens the lighter, his thumb flicks open the flame to burn the end of your cigarette.

"No, there isn't a problem. I just prefer Camels, " he huffs, answering your first question. "I got the lighter from a friend."

You inhale the soft taste of nicotine, nodding to Jotaro's answer. You let your eyes close, and savor the flavor before opening your eyes once more, turning your head to your best friend who's taking a cigarette out of the cardboard box and putting the orange end in between his lips before handing you the gold-plated lighter.

You take the lighter and carefully examine it: gold, big and hefty, and marked with several scratches and scuffs. On the top of the lighter of the enclosure, there's a small engraving marked, M. Avdol. You raise an eyebrow, curious, but you quickly glance up to Jotaro who's sitting with an impatient pout on his face so you decide to ask him about it later.

You flick the wheel of the lighter—sparks fly off twice before you can get a flame going—and hold the flickering flame close to Jotaro's cigarette. You watch as the end of the stick gets burned, the white of it slowly turning into a cherry red.

He pulls away as he inhales and you let go of the wheel, watching Jotaro inhale. Compared to you, you think Jotaro has more of a coolness to it—though you weren't sure how, as he practically did the same thing you did. You figured that he just seemed to emanate more of a "cool aura".

After he takes a long inhale he slowly exhales, and a puff of smoke follows.

Your eyes trail to the puff of smoke, but it's not long before you remember the thick lighter in your hand, and your previous curiosity is reignited. You bring the lighter up to Jotaro, tilting the lighter so the engraving is pointed to his face, and he looks at you with the same hard, narrow expression.

"Who is M. Avdol?" You ask, quickly taking a puff of the cigarette.

He sighs, tilting his hat down so his expression is hidden. "Told you—a friend."

You frown. It was always so difficult getting Jotaro to open up. As far as you knew, he was a closed book sealed with ten-thousand locks and binded with God knows how many cursed seals. You may have known this man for two years, but every time you tried to pull some information out of him about his past, he always threw up an impenetrable wall.

Defeated, you sigh and hand him back the lighter.

"Ah okay. I was just curious, that's all."

For a slight moment, you meet Jotaro's gaze, and you could tell within that second that he felt sorry that he couldn't express his feelings, and that he couldn't talk so comfortably about it. He trusted you, he had always said that but you could just tell that he was feeling anxious about speaking about his past, so, you do the best you can and decide to respect his wishes and not press.

You look back over the view of the city in silence, but it isn't long before you hear him take a long inhale of his cigarette before sighing.

"Muhammed Avdol was his name."

You perk your head up, and your heart thumps in your chest when you turn to look at him.

"I know I don't talk much about my trip to Egypt... but..." He huffs, looking down at the ground, and scratches the back of his head. "You know it was a bad trip. Well, Avdol made things a lot easier for me and the others. He was a good friend."

You smile, and, gently, you place a hand on his shoulder and he looks at you with wide, green eyes.

"Thank you for telling me about him, Jotaro. He seems like he played a very important role in your life." You smile, and he offers a warm one back before looking down at the ground—dark curls fall in front of his face.

"Yeah. He did. "

You nod and take your hand off of his shoulder, and decide to slightly change the subject.

"I know you had a long trip to Egypt... do you think when college is over, you'd want to have another adventure like that?"

Jotaro shakes his head and lets out a laugh.

"Fuck no."

You chuckle at his response and nod. "One day I'll get to know the gritty details."

He shrugs. "Maybe one day," he sighs and looks over at you. "What about you? Do you want any adventures?" He repeats your phrase with a smirk and you roll your eyes at him.

You flick off a few ashes from your cigarette, thinking.

"I don't know. I like the way life is right now, where I'm rolling with the punches," you pause, knitting your eyebrows together. "But... I think I'd like a bit of a steadier life when I get out of college. I'm tired of the bad relationships and getting whiplash from doing something impulsive one day and having to reap the consequences the next."

Jotaro nods, understanding what you meant by that. By being your best friend, that came with the compliments of ranting to him about each failed relationship, or every stupid professor, or something going on at home in your family life. He knew you had trauma or grief from those few things in your life, so he completely understood that you needed something safe.

The more he seemed to think about it at that moment, he thought he could use some steadiness in his life, too.

"You want something steady, hmm?"

You nod. "Maybe a nice job. Nice place in the city. Not sure if I want a family yet."

He looks at you as you take a drag of your cigarette, watching the smoke follow your exhale and fade into the night. For a minute, he imagines the rest of his life like this. Sitting next to you, surrounded by nothing but peace and quiet. He thinks that your idea of a future sounds nice. After all, he wants to become a marine biologist. Maybe he could fit his schedule into yours.

Out of the corner of your eye you see Jotaro smirk slightly, and he looks down at the ground momentarily before looking back at you.

"Steady. I think I like the sound of that."