41 - real life

chapter forty-one
untangling

23rd April 2019
Pedro's New York apartment

Sarah set her phone down on the kitchen island counter that she was sat at, and looked up to the person stood at the nearby front door of the apartment. The person was Pedro. He had come in near the end of the call and stayed put and quiet so not to interrupt anything. He couldn't even bring himself to take off his backpack and jacket as he came in, in case the sound he made was heard by Emma and scared her away from the call.

"What did she say?" Pedro asked Sarah. His hands were fidgeting and he started to feel a knotting feeling in his stomach. "Is she okay? Does she hate me?"

"She sounded okay. A little tired but that's to be expected the day after a big premiere." Sarah reassured him. "And I don't think she hates you seen as she coming over to talk to you. Today."

Pedro's eyes widened. "W-What? She's coming over today? Here? Today today?"

"Yes. She wants to talk to you in person."

Pedro's face fell and he let out a breath. "Oh, god. She's going to break up with me, isn't she? Fuck, I fucked this up. I fucked this up so bad." He said before he leaned his elbows on the kitchen island counter and put his face in his hands.

"Pedro, she said she's not intending to come over and break up with you. She wants to talk everything through with you." Sarah told him and stood so she could rub his back comfortingly. "She told me to tell you that she loves you."

Pedro lifted his face out of his hands to look at Sarah. "She did?"

Sarah nodded. "Yeah. But she also said that what you said hurt her quite a lot." She told him. Pedro sighed and rubbed a hand over his face.

"I know. I know I hurt her."

"She also said you should know why it hurt her."

"Yeah, I know. Which just makes it worse that I said what I said to her. Worst partner ever or what?"

"Well, you didn't cheat on her or physically hurt her."

"I still hurt her. And I made her somewhat unhappy. That's pretty bad." Pedro said shyly as his fingers started to fidget.

"Okay, yes. Can't disagree. But you have been given a lifeline here with her coming over to talk to you. So stop thinking the worse is gonna happen and start thinking of what you want to say. Fight for her like you were doing last night. 'Cause that's what she wants to see; a man fighting and not giving up so quickly. And she did say she wasn't coming with the intention of breaking up with you, so make sure she doesn't change her mind when she's here."

"Yeah. Yeah, you're right." Pedro nodded, becoming more determined to do what Sarah said and fight. "When is she coming over?"

"She hopes to be here around 8 when you finish at King Lear." Sarah answered and Pedro nodded. "Wait, you're supposed to be there right now. What are you even doing back here?"

"I forgot my show shoes."

"Again? I told you to put them in plain sight so you don't miss them."

"I know. But with everything last night, I forgot. Didn't seem so important." Pedro told, and Sarah weakly smiled. "So if I leave now, she might be here when I get home?" He looked to Sarah with hope in his eyes.

"That's what she said. She's going to let me know if anything changes."

Pedro then let out a sigh. "Okay. I best get my shoes then." He stood straight and went to get his King Lear shoes from his bedroom across from the kitchen. It didn't take him long to find them and bring them back out with them in his hands. "If she get's here early, can you keep her here? I'm gonna come straight home after I finish."