Chapter 18

12:14 pm

Crouching behind a bus stop bench, Duke watched his target. His eyes took note of every movement. The Newfoundland mix needed to make sure he got everything down. He could not fail his mission. Failure was not an option.

There! An opening! Here was his chance! Springing to his feet, Duke recklessly dashed across the street. In his haste, the mutt almost got hit by a taxi. Lowering his head, the large dog crashed through the diner door, causing the bell hanging over it to ring out loudly. He had made it in.

His paws skidding all over the place, Duke was practically slipping and sliding on the tile floor. People screamed as they jumped out of the way. In the meantime, Duke spotted the kitchen doors. Finding his footing, he raced towards them just as they swung open, revealing the head chef. In his hands was a big broom. Wielding it like a baseball bat, the burly cook shouted, "Bad dog!"

"Uh oh!" Duke cried. Spinning around as fast as he could, he tore through the diner with the broom wielding chef on his tail. Guests screamed again as the big dog ran by once more. A brand new customer opened the door, ringing the bell. Noticing the mutt coming his way, he quickly dove to the side. At the same time, Duke rushed out of the diner before the door could shut.

"And stay out you mangy mutt!" the chef shouted, standing in the doorway a moment later, angrily shaking the broom. Duke didn't bother looking back as he kept on running. He had failed his mission, it was time to move on.