Chapter 28

5:36 pm

"Hey Tulip," Pops rasped, nudging Daisy out of her slumber. Blinking her eyes open, the Shih Tzu mumbled groggily, "Hm? What time is it?" Helping the small dog up to her paws, Pops answered, "About five thirty. Ya got about two and half hours to get home."

"Pops! I've got a map!" Chloe's voice hissed through a phone. Startled, Daisy asked, "What in the world?! Is that Chloe?!" Confused, Pops replied, "Why does everyone think I know a Chloe? No, Rhonda and the boys got lost in the sewers. I gotta get them outta there. Plus, I need to start making my way over to your apartment building to celebrate your return or something I don't know."

"Oh. Is this me getting kicked out?" Daisy questioned nervously. Escorting her out while Myron shut the door behind them, Pops answered, "I'm afraid so. If you meet any of the others on the road, let them know that my apartment is locked up. No one can get inside. Now, as for you, simply follow Broadway all the way to downtown. Look for the dog park y'all go to, the rest of the way should be familiar to you." By now, both dogs were down on the sidewalk outside of the apartment. Reciting the directions in her head, Daisy woofed softly, "Got it, thank you."

"No problem Tulip, and good luck," Pops stated as a taxi rolled up. The passenger door opened, revealing Tattoo and Bearded Dragon. Daisy backed up quickly when she saw them. Raising his hooves in defense, Tattoo declared, "Relax, we're just the old man's ride. But beware, we'll be out on the streets again soon."

"Okay, thanks. Bye now," Daisy yipped. Waving goodbye as the taxi drove off with Pops inside, she sighed softly. Looking around, she murmured to herself, "Right, take Broadway to downtown then look for the dog park. Easy." Knowing where she needed to go, the Shih Tzu was about to set off on her journey when she heard someone approaching her from behind. She swiftly whipped around.

"So... hungry..." Duke panted heavily, dragging his feet with every step. He passed Daisy without even acknowledging her presence. It was like he had become a zombie. Clearing her throat, the Shih Tzu announced her existence to the Newfoundland mix, "Hey big guy!"

"Huh?" Duke stuttered, snapping out of his daze. Peering over his shoulder, he continued, "Daisy? What are you doing here by yourself? Where's Snowball? More importantly, where am I?" Padding up to the much larger canine, Daisy answered each of her questions, "Eh, you know, playing the same stupid game you are. Snowball got caught by animal control earlier this morning. And we're outside of Pops' place." His eyes lighting up at that last part, Duke asked, "Is he home?"

"Just left, the apartment is on lockdown," Daisy explained. At that moment, there was a huge growl. It took a moment for the two dogs to realize that it was Duke's stomach growling. A wave of sympathy washed over Daisy when she saw the pained look on the mutt's face. Beckoning him to follow, she murmured, "Come on, let's find you some food."