Chapter 23

1:30 pm

Vehicles of all sizes rolled along the bustling streets of the Big Apple, making noise and kicking up dust. Staying as far away from the road as possible, Daisy weaved in and out between the feet of passing pedestrians. Every once in a while she would catch a glimpse of a sign but she couldn't read human language, therefore she didn't know what street she was on.

She was lost.

"Come on Daisy, you can do this. You just need to figure out where you're going. Think of a destination," Daisy whispered to herself. She could do this, she could find her way home. The Shih Tzu could already see the apartment building in her mind. However, she did not know the way back to it. She needed to find a place that she was familiar with. And one place popped into her head. Pops' place. That was a place she knew and it wasn't exactly that far from the apartment. Find Pops and you'll find your way home, right? Daisy was satisfied with that and headed off to find the basset hound's apartment.

———

"So... hungry..." Duke whimpered, dragging his paws at this point. His energy was just about drained right now. He had no idea where he was in the city. Maybe near Broadway? The Newfoundland mix didn't care though. He was too hungry and too tired to care. Panting heavily, the mutt flopped over onto his side in the shade of an alley.

Something crashed nearby.

"Who's... there?" Duke panted, weakly lifting his head. He knew he hadn't bumped into anything when he flopped over. And the crash sounded further in the alley away from him. Sitting up now, the large dog could hear someone or something moving around near the dumpsters in the back. Then a huge dark figure emerged forth from behind said dumpsters. His hair standing on end in fear, Duke screamed before wheeling around and bolting out of the alley. The dark figure watched, utterly confused for a moment but nevertheless continuing its hunt...