Chapter 29

5:48 pm

"Here you go, enjoy your hot dog little boy!" the hot dog vendor declared, giving a small boy his food. Thanking the mister with a big smile on his face, the child happily ate the hot dog while holding his mom's hand. The man, meanwhile, went back to selling more of his trade, completely unaware he was being hunted.

"Are you sure about this?" Duke asked quietly, wincing when his stomach suddenly growled. Cringing at the sound as well, Daisy reassured the much larger canine, "I'm very sure. You need something to eat." Smiling softly, Duke rasped, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Daisy replied. There was a moment of silence as the two dogs watched from their hiding spot behind a stop sign. The hot dog cart was drawing closer. Biting his lip, Duke asked, "Why do they call it a hot dog? I don't know what it's made of but I know it ain't dogs."

"Well, it's a hot food. And I think the dog comes from the fact it's shaped like dachshunds, like Buddy," Daisy remarked, scratching behind her ear thoughtfully. She then concluded, "But hot dogs are sausages and sausages come from pigs." Nodding his head in understanding, Duke yipped, "Like Tattoo!"

"I'm right here," Tattoo snorted, standing right behind the duo. Both dogs practically jumped out of their skins. They stared at the tattooed pig in horror, waiting for his next move. Still sitting there, Tattoo muttered, "Y'all got five seconds to run."

"RUN!" Duke and Daisy howled. They didn't need to be told twice as they bolted, running off in different directions as a stampede of strays followed either one. All the while, the hot dog cart remained untouched. The hunt had failed.