Chapter 35

6:57 pm

"Mel! Mel, where are you?" Buddy howled, trotting ahead. He searched every nook and cranny, peered around every corner. So far no luck. The pug was nowhere to be seen. Trodding behind the dachshund, Chloe grumbled, "This is officially the second worst day of my entire life."

"Really? What's number one?" Buddy asked, looking up from where he had been checking behind some cardboard boxes. Glaring at the dachshund angrily, Chloe hissed, "The day where you introduced us to Pops!" Nodding his head in agreement, the dachshund added, "Fair enough. We also met Snowball that day and I thought we were all gonna die."

"Uh, I got a best friend that day," Tiberius chimed in. Rolling her eyes, Chloe muttered, "Nobody cares." Pausing in his tracks, the red tailed hawk mumbled, "Ow, words hurt Chloe."

"I hope Mel is okay, wherever he is," Buddy whined, looking sad. Sitting down, Chloe scoffed and murmured, "I know. But we're never gonna find him like this! The city is too big to be checking every individual alleyway on foot. We need to get up higher." Still looking hurt from the cat's comment earlier, Tiberius complained, "But I was forbidden from flying! How are we supposed to get a bird's eye view of the city?"

"Who said we have to fly to be up high?" Chloe asked, gesturing to the tall building behind her...