The Battle Begins

Once they returned to the village, Ronal and Tonowari had gathered the clan in the middle of the Metkayina village. They were outraged at the loss of Ro'a, deciding that enough was enough.

Näkaynì was nervous of what the Metkayina would do to her family, knowing that if they had never seeked Uturu with this clan, none of this would have happened. 

Neteyam felt his sisters discomfort and gently place an arm around her shoulder, pulling her closer to him as an act of assurance. 

Näkaynì lightly smiled up to Neteyam in return.

"My sister and her spirit baby have been murdered by the sky people!" Ronal exclaimed, earning many cries from the other members of the clan.

Näkaynì quickly glanced over to Tsireya, who held her head low as her tears trickled down her cheek. 

"This war has come to us!" Tonowari said, earning multiple war cries from the warriors of the village. 

"We knew about this hunting of our tulkun people, but it was over the horizon, far away. Now it is here!" Tonowari exclaimed, getting more of the Metkayina people to join in on the war cries, ready to defend their village. 

Näkaynì looked around the crowd with her brow furrowed, knowing that this was not going to go the way they thought it was. Her parents had fought the sky people before and just barely made it out alive. These people were not ready for a war. 

Her father then spoke up, "You have to understand how the sky people think. They don't care about the great balance." Jake tried to reason with the clan that was ready to go to war.

"Death to the sky people!" One of the villagers yelled from behind Jake, once again riling up the crowd.

"Listen to him." Neteyam said seriously, needing the villagers to heed his fathers warning. 

"The Sky people are not going to stop. This is only the beginning. You've got to tell you're Tulkuns to leave." Jake said with an urgency that Näkaynì had never seen before.

"You gotta tell them to go far away!" He yelled, trying to do anything to get the crowd to listen to him. 

"Leave?" Ronal said exasperated, taking a step towards Jake. 

"You live among us, and you learned nothing!" Ronal said, as the villagers began to close the circle that had formed around the Sully family.

"We will fight to protect our brothers and sisters!" One warrior said from behind Ronal, once again making the rest of the reef people join in with their own war cries. 

"No no no." Her father said, realizing that the Metkayina weren't listening. 

"If you attack, if you fight, then they will destroy you! They will destroy everything that you love." He yelled over the crowd, gesturing to Ronals pregnant stomach during the last part. 

The villagers became even more hostile, raising their spears towards Jake. 

"Hear my words! Hear my words!" Jake said with unadultered urgency. He would not allow these people to go into a battle that they were not prepared for. 

"Stay calm! Stay calm!" Näkaynì said, trying to get the villagers to step back, away from her family.

"Listen to my father!" She said, earning death stares from different members of the clan.

"Why would we listen to you? You bring nothing but death and destruction!" One of the villagers said getting up in Näkaynì's face.

Näkaynì tried to step back before bumping into another angry villager.