Chapter 18

****
"No...no ma..this can't be!"as Sapna cupped her face in her hands.

"Yes,she's dead" Kalimati stood up seeing her eyes widened in disbelief and moving closer she added "just because she dint text you,you had been weeping for hours...don't strain yourself,we all know how emotionally drained you would be on hearing this..so we dint dare.."she sighed and then embraced her daughter into a hug.

"Her husband had hid his sister from everyone's eyes, she was apparently mentally Ill which was a consequence of liking a guy who took advantage of her out of wedlock.This girl's name is Rahila."she whispered.

"I dunno"Sapna winced and then urged her to tell more.

"Then Rahila was staying in an asylum in Bangalore. When Ahmed Ali and Tabu reached their home they met Rahila and brought her home...the next day Tabu was found dead. She was stabbed to death. Rahila was sitting next to her body.." said Kalimati her voice breaking as she spoke,running her hand on Sapna's hair and then kissed her forehead.

"Tabu!" Screamed Sapna her face cringed in agony.

"I'm sorry Sapna"Kalimati hugged her tightly to calm her down.

"You're right ma..Sapna shouldn't strain herself, I'm sorry I was passing this room and I heard your conversation" Karthik walked in and then wiped away a tear that ran down her cheek.

"It's okay ma..and I'll be fine" Sapna shuddered at the thought of Rahul and how he had kissed her and now her best friend's sudden death made her look pale.

Glancing at Karthik Sapna squirmed"ok..a man must never be trusted, he might do the same to someone else someother day Rahila was ill and Tabu was innocent" Sapna blinked.

"No not all would be the same. Consider a fruit in a basket,which is rotten enough to spoil the surrounding fruits..just like that we generalise the wrong thing to the entire basket. We don't really peek in to see what's right or what's wrong until we approach the basket" he sighed.

"Yeah..ill take a shower and be downstairs for the pooja" she spoke over her shoulders,slipping into her pink flip flops, Sapna went to the bathroom, and allowed the door to close behind her.

Turning on the shower, Sapna asked herself "will Rahul do the same thing with me what Rahila went through" she narrowed her eyes as the water trickled down her body, she then focused on the foam that slipped through her body whirling into the sink.

"No he won't..he wont do that!" Speaking through the water that was hitting her face,sapna was adamant on accepting her thoughts about Rahul cheating her. She dint trust her eyes.

Turning off the shower Sapna closed her eyes. she could only imagine Rahul standing in the conference room gazing at her. She opened her eyes chewing on her lower lip trying to think more and putting on her bathrobe and tightened the belt.

"Everything is gonna be okay." She then walked out to the room opened her cupboard and slid into a new pink churidar her mother had kept for the Pooja.
She went downstairs covering her head along the way.

Everyone there shot glances at her.Sapna was late.
"Come here." motioned Kalimati.
Sapna lit the lamp and held the pooja thali in her hand and then the pooja was carried out smoothly and sweets were distributed to the family.