what is and what never should be

chapter thirty-eight ~ what is and what never should be

in the impala

The night was pitch black as Dean drove the impala with the high beams on, the post rain dewiness lingered in the air. The shrill of his phone cut through the silence and he answered without missing a beat, "Yeah?"

Haven had the phone pressed to her ear as her and Sam watched discreetly out the motel window, a cop car under the bright motel sign in their line of vision.

"There's a cop car outside," Haven said quietly, her eyes never leaving the officer.

"You think it's for us?" Dean asked the brunette.

Haven visibly shrugged, "I don't know."

"I mean I don't see how, we ditched the plates, credit cards," Dean offered the worried girl.

The cop pulled away causing the duo of hunters to sigh and let their shoulders drop. "He left, false alarm," Haven rubbed her forehead.

Dean sighed too on his end, "See? Nothing to worry about, babe."

"Oh yeah, because being fugitives is so fun, Dean," Haven scoffed as she moved back to the open books of lore scattered on the table.

"Oh, come on, you think it's hot I have a danger vibe," Dean smirked as he teased the girl.

Sam was engrossed in the books, "Ask if he's got anything yet."

Haven pulled a chair out next to Sam and took a seat, bringing her knee up to her chest and placing her phone on the table on speaker.

"Anything yet?" Sam repeated for his brother.

"What, are you kidding me? How could I have anything?" Dean joked. "You got me sitting through like 50 square miles of real estate here."

"Well, that's where all the victims have disappeared," Sam reasoned.

Dean kept on the road, "Yeah, well, I got diddly squat. What about you two?"

Haven reached forward for a book and pulled it into her lap, "We think we got one thing we're pretty sure of. We're hunting a Djinn."

"A frickin' genie?" Dean smiled. "What? You guys think these suckers can really grant wishes?"

Sam looked over at the book, "I don't know, I guess if they're powerful enough, but not exactly like Barbara Eden in harem pants. Djinns have been feeding off people for centuries, they're all over the Carat."

Dean cleared his throat, "So where do the Djinns lair up?"

"Ruins usually, uh- bigger the better, more places to hide," Sam explained.

Dean looked in his rear view, "You know, I think I saw a place a couple miles back. I think I'm gonna go check it out."

Haven grabbed the phone and pushed out of her chair, "No, absolutely not, Dean. Come pick us up first."