21 // The Motel Room

TW: gunfire, blood, physical violence, and death. 

I put a full TW list at the beginning of this book and will not be doing it for ever single chapter, so please, again, read at your own discretion. 

❥ EVERETT'S POV

EVERETT'S POV

"It's been twenty minutes and they're still..." Everett's heart pounds with a bone-chilling fear as he gawks at the sleek, black SUV that appears to move in perfect synchronization with Michael's car. "Hey, you guys...? I think we're being followed right now. Check out this black car!"

Michael's grip instinctively tightens on the steering wheel as he glances into the rearview mirror. "Who would follow us? No one knows where you are."

"Right. I was just going to say the same thing." Alissa turns around in the passenger seat to check out the car that has stolen Everett's attention. "Babe, I really don't think there's anything for you to stress about," she says, trying to calm Everett down. "Traffic is ridiculous today and it seems like no one knows where the hell they want to go."

"I don't know. Something feels off..." Everett mumbles, mostly to himself.

The large SUV has tinted windows and a glossy black exterior that glints underneath the afternoon sun. It's spotless like it came straight from a car wash; the tires are thick and hefty, ready to take on any terrain; the front grill is so wide and daunting that it gives the vehicle a slightly menacing look. Its driver clearly has wealth, but Everett can't get a good look at their face.

His mind wants to immediately jump to The Jackals. He knows they're after him, and that they won't stop pursuing him until they catch him.

Everett fears this moment may very well be it.

"I'm sorry for being dramatic, but can you please switch lanes? I just want to see something," Everett asks Michael. He nods but hesitates for a split second while checking the rearview mirror again, then he shifts to the left lane.

To Everett's relief, the SUV doesn't follow.

"See? I told you it was nothing," Alissa says, though her wavering tone makes it sound like she barely believes herself. Michael doesn't miss how her hands fidget nervously in her lap.

"Fine. Maybe you were right." Everett breathes a sigh of relief, but his mind is still racing with awful What If scenarios throughout the rest of the drive.

His heart rate never really returns to normal, and his paranoia remains high even after they pull into the parking lot of Cupid's Stop Motel. The flickering neon sign situated above the motel's entrance looks like one strong gust of wind will be enough to send it crashing down to the ground. A seedy looking character exits his room with what appears to be a joint in his mouth and a small pocket knife attached to his belt, making it clear this place doesn't give a shit about the safety and security of its patrons.