41 // Alone

❥ KNOX'S POV

KNOX'S POV

The next moments are a blurred dance of danger and reflexes.

A darker, more reckless type of rage overtakes Knox as he charges forward to roughly fist a hand in Ghost's hair. At the same time, Ghost grabs the knife and drives it up into Knox's stomach. The attack happens in seconds, too quickly for Knox to have stopped it due to his mind being stuck on Everett and the gunfire that's growing louder outside.

Pain radiates through Knox's torso, and he sways but stays on his feet courtesy of pure adrenaline.

With his guard back up, he pulls the knife free and uses it to slice Ghost's throat in one swift motion. He then stumbles back, pressing a hand to the wound as blood seeps between his trembling fingers.

It doesn't take long for the life to drain from Ghost's eyes, his body now completely still.

"Fuck..." Knox can feel himself weakening by the second, but he forces himself to stay focused as he makes his way outside.

The sight he's greeted with is of a breached gate, many of his brothers now securing the perimeter while others take off on their bikes in pursuit of fleeing Jackals. The pain and shock take a backseat for only a moment as he heads toward the safety of the clubhouse, each step leaving behind a small trace of blood.

"Knox!" Finn's voice breaks through his tunnel vision. "Hey, we need you..." One hand on Knox's shoulders, Finn's brow wrinkles in concern as his eyes dart to Knox's bloody middle. "Holy shit, man!You need to see a—"

"In a minute," Knox interrupts, his voice rough from strain. "What the fuck happened out here?"

Finn hesitates for a split second, obviously torn between getting Knox help and answering his question. "The Jackals apparently felt like doing a surprise attack. One of them rammed through the gate and others came in behind on bikes shooting any and everything. We took a few down but we lost two prospects. Shit happened so fast we barely had time to gear up."

"I'm willing to bet it's because we had Ghost in our possession."

"Had?"

"He's dead now. But what about Everett and the girls?" Knox asks urgently, caring more about everyone else's safety than his own. "Did any Jackals get inside the clubhouse?"

"No, and he's good. Everyone is good. But you're looking hella pale and fucking scaring me, man. Do you need me to walk you inside? We have to call Doc and get you checked out—"

"I can walk on my own." Knox pushes Finn's arm away, his legs threatening to buckle as he continues on towards the clubhouse. "Go help the others."

Finn nods and reluctantly walks in the opposite direction.

The chaos inside the clubhouse mirrors the agitated state of Knox's mind. His brothers run around like chickens with their heads cut off while Gavin's angry shouts reverberate through the halls. Half of Knox's anger is directed at himself. His mind hadn't been where it should've been, and that allowed Ghost to momentarily get the best of him.

A mistake that might cost him his life.

The boy is too much of a distraction. He's making you weak.

You're not the same man that you used to be.

What the fuck are you doing right now? Love isn't meant for people like you.

Let him go before it's too fucking late.

Let him go.

His thoughts assault him every step of the way, his body feeling heavier and heavier as he slowly climbs the stairs to get to his bedroom. Once there, he leans against the doorframe for support. His free hand grips the cold metal doorknob and his fingers fumble, slipping with blood and sweat, which makes the simple act of opening a door almost impossible.

Not gonna make it. I'm fucking dying... He can barely remain standing. In fact, his body is over it altogether. Just as he starts to slide down to the floor, the door swings open from the inside.

It's as though time slows.

The panicked screams of Josie and Everett ring loud in his ears as the light from inside the room blurs his vision, but he can clearly make out Everett's frantic face when he leans into his line of sight.

"Knox!? Oh my God... Look at me, baby. Can you hear me?" Everett gently slaps Knox's cheek, trying to keep him conscious. "Keep your eyes open, okay? I know it's hard, but you can't close your eyes. You can't go to sleep..." Everett takes a shuddering breath, then looks to Josie for help. "What do we do?! Who do we call? I-I don't know what to do. I don't know—"

"He needs more pressure on that wound! Use both hands while I call Doc." Josie's footsteps retreat and then return seconds later. Knox can feel his bloody hand being removed from his stomach, and in its place Everett holds down both of his. "We need you here now, Doc! It's an emergency."

"You can't die on me," Everett whispers to Knox. "I won't fucking let you. Do you hear me? I need you to live, Knox. Our story doesn't end like this."

Knox's heavy lids lift just enough to meet Everett's gaze.

"That's it. Keep those pretty eyes open for me, okay? You can't go to sleep."

Knox wants to reassure the boy, but it's hard to speak let alone keep his eyes open. His lips twitch into a weak semblance of a smile as his free hand finds Everett's thigh and squeezes, the gesture saying more than words ever could. "Safe?"

"Yes, I'm safe." Everett's voice cracks, tears spilling down his face. "The doctor is on his way, so you're going to be safe, too. Just please don't close your eyes again. I need you here with me."

But the darkness that's been nipping at the edges of his consciousness suddenly surges forward. The colorful world becomes dim within seconds, and the pain he'd been in slowly gets replaced by a numb tranquility.

Knox's eyes flutter close as he quietly accepts his fate. He'd much rather die with Everett and his loved ones by his side than alone.

Anything is better than dying alone.

. . .

a/n: 🫠

a/n: 🫠