2. Saying Goodbye

Seonghwa slept against Hongjoong's shoulder for a while. Exhaustion drowned him into a fitful nap and the captain held him in the gloomy leftovers of his once so heart-warming home. Hongjoong found no rest, just sitting with a heavy heart and his cheek pressed to Seonghwa's head. His husband's pain resonated in his chest.

By the time morning greyed, Seonghwa stirred. The first twitch became him burying his head in Hongjoong's shoulder. He needed no reminder. As soon as his mind caught up with their hollow surroundings, he gulped. For a while, they sat in silence. Hongjoong left him space to mourn while he hung in his own thoughts about the kind woman who gifted the world with Seonghwa. Back when he came back from the dead, she blessed him with the kindness of a parent. He would never forget her or her lack of fear as she held his bloodied, mangled hands.

He felt her lack like a hole punched into his heart. And Seonghwa's grief was much worse. She was his last family by blood. Now only Tikki remained.

"I want to visit 'er," Seonghwa croaked after a long silence. The sun shone through the bleak white mists, dousing them in a diffuse light. Seonghwa's eyes were reddened when he lifted his head to look at Hongjoong. Reverent, Hongjoong cradled his cheek and ran a thumb over its curve.

"Now?"

A timid nod before Seonghwa's chin sunk to his chest. His lashes lowered.

"I 'ave lots to say."

Since he couldn't refuse his treasure, Hongjoong strained his throbbing back to sit up. They sorted their limbs, stretching until the lingering aches of their uncomfortable position fell off them. When they emerged into the chilly fog of the morning, Hongjoong checked on their surroundings.

The forest lay tranquil, unbothered since few would wander this far from the town. Calmer after the storm, the ocean rolled into the cliffs, filling their ears with the familiar rushing that soothed their agitated souls. Hongjoong missed his ship and his crew, but they could wait for a while longer. Before Seonghwa couldn't move on from this place, Hongjoong wouldn't urge him to hurry.

They wandered the dewy grass along the cliffs. Seonghwa kept his hands to himself today, and his face cast toward the sea. Its spread of stormy blue mingled with the grey of the clouds.

No words passed between them. Seonghwa knew where to go without having to glance at the letter in his coat another time. Swaddled in his warm furs, Hongjoong trailed behind him.

A seagull circled overhead.

Since Seonghwa's mother was no criminal, Yonghwan had marked her grave. A rounded gravestone bared her name and her lifetime. His wish to see her off was engraved underneath.

The most loving soul and mother. Rest in Peace.

When Seonghwa sunk to his knees before the heap of earth that sprouted the humble beginnings of fresh grass, Hongjoong joined his side. His knees got soaked, but none of that mattered. With his hands in his lap and his head lowered, he paid his respects to the last resting place of the woman who blessed him with his greatest good.

He, too, wished he got to speak his mind before she passed. So much got left unsaid and no matter the monetary aid he provided for her and Tikki, he could never thank her enough. Not for bringing up his daughter, and especially not for birthing Seonghwa into this world.

"Hey, mum," Seonghwa whispered, dropping the language of the sea for her.

"I'm late, but I made it. And I brought Hongjoong along." Seonghwa bit his lip, fingers digging into his thighs. His eyes had more tears to shed, but he gulped them down to maintain his quivering voice.