3. Witch's Brat

Hongjoong kept his head low as the pair walked the muddy streets of the town. Commonly, his presence would instil terror and intimidate any passersby out of their way, but this was Seonghwa's home. The people recognised the Pirate Prince even when his face was scarred and he bore the seal of the sea. They could guess who accompanied him as his story got told far and wide, but no one dared utter his name.

Though this territory was protected by the royal navy, pirate sightings were rare. Glad for the shared truce in which no one alerted the soldiers and Hongjoong didn't have to kill civilians, he trailed behind Seonghwa through the streets. Even after many years away, he knew them like the back of his hand. Soon, his favourite sneak paths through narrow alleys became ended in a grand marketplace. No booths populated the cobblestone today, but a good deal of townspeople met for their daily gossip.

Everyone turned their heads when the pirates passed. They didn't fit in; stood out with their heavy weapons and their aura of menace. Seonghwa's gaze was that of a madman, and Hongjoong was the most dangerous monster of the sea.

When they made straight for the butcher, the group of chattering women nearby scurried away like a flock of birds. With their baskets clutched close to humble dresses, they watched the pair from a distance with gigantic eyes.

No one knew their story of shadows and blood. No one knew the fate tied to their fingers.

Seonghwa didn't knock before he entered. He ducked through the narrow shop door and Hongjoong kept his sharp gaze to himself, not calling for attention as he shut the entrance behind them.

Before he had to prove their identities or threaten the owner into compliance, the woman behind the wooden counter perked up. It was stained with the blood of many years and the pungent smell of meat hung in the air.

Hongjoong's eyes trailed over the slaps of meat dangling from their hooks, used to the sight. Perhaps his crew would enjoy a reward for their patience. He leaned against the wall, waiting as the gasping lady gathered her wits and hastened around the corner.

"Seonghwa, is it you? Is it truly you?" Her hands reached for his face, hovering but not daring to touch. When she met Hongjoong's warning stare over Seonghwa's shoulder, she clasped her trembling palms to her chest instead.

"You grew up so much! How long has it been, five years?"

His charming, crooked smile tugged on Seonghwa's lips. It reminded of the sweet baker boy he had once been.

"Thank you for waiting for me. Truly, the tides changed."

"So they have," she agreed with an unnerved glance at Hongjoong, armed to the teeth, in his corner. When she remembered what they were here for, her face fell. Their sorrow mirrored each other.

"Ah... My condolences about your mother, love. Her navy admiral told me she couldn't battle the fever any longer. He said you would come for the little one."

"Is she here?" Seonghwa asked, searching eyes desperate to find the piece that remained.

"Yes, she's upstairs with the cats. But... Seonghwa, I-" She glanced at Hongjoong again and flinched back when he pushed off the wall. The heavy clicks of his heels brought him to Seonghwa's flank.

The lady curled into her lush bosom, hands lifted in a placating gesture.

"I wasn't about to say anything improper. I just noticed a few... Extraordinary aspects about her," she stuttered out an explanation.

About as tall as Seonghwa, Hongjoong halted by his side and put one hand on his belt, where the coiled whip was tied around his hips.

"She be me blood. Blabber what ye spied," he grunted.