Zone One : Empty Prayers

"Don't leave. Please..." Sweat was dripping off her forehead. It was past midnight. The night seemed young, but the Sun was about to rise again. It was just a matter of minutes before the darkness would fade. Reese opened her mouth wide, taking a deep, forced breath. Her sweaty hands instinctively grabbed the white sheets of the bed. Her eyes were shut tight but still moved rhythmically. The terrible nightmare she was having finally ended.

Her green eyes opened, looking aghast at the ceiling. "Just a dream....Just a dream." she kept repeating to herself, desperately looking for comfort. Why was she all alone? Why did she always have to wake up in the middle of the night and cry herself to sleep? Something was missing. Something she couldn't put her finger on.

Throwing the pillow off her body, she got up and shyly approached the enormous window. Las Vegas was never asleep. The casinos, the night bars, the opulent limousines were all brought to life during night time. It was almost surreal. Like a dream. She had everything she wanted. A successful life. Her dream business was prosperous. Her jewelry and niche perfume boutiques were doing well...

"What good is it to have all the material wealth in the world if you can't share it with the one you love?" Her slim fingers touched the window. She bit her lips, trying to keep it together. But it was more than obvious. She needed that special someone. So badly.

It was a curse to feel everything so vividly. Her emotions were so raw. She had to do something quick. Something that could make her stop thinking about all the things missing in her life. "Damn. I should turn on the TV."

And so she did. Grabbing the remote control, she turned on the massive LCD. Throwing herself into the messy bed, she let out a heavy sigh of relief. MTV had to get her out of her misery. A Michael Jackson song was playing. "I bet this is that cheesy song...I can't remember its name though..." She frowned a bit, trying to remember. "Damn. It's I Just Can't Stop Loving You."

A little smile appeared on her lips. "Hmm. Is this some kind of strange sign?" She laughed to herself and dropped the remote control down on the floor. Her eyes gradually closed, the smile still gracing her lips. The song played softly in the background. Little did she know. The Universe already started working its magic.