Zone Five : Are You Lonesome Tonight?

She looked at his hand. It was quite large than usual but it gave her some sort of idea about who he was. He surely was a hard worker. Reese always payed attention to the small details. Her soft hand finally touched his. It didn't take long before Michael's soft lips touched her sensitive skin. She was expecting a cordial handshake, something very diplomatic. How wrong she was.

Her shyness took over. Not even the heavy makeup on her face could cover her red cheeks. Giving him a soft glance, she nodded and took her hand back slowly. "Reese, very nice to meet you, Michael. It's a privilege to have you here tonight!" she said. A sort of calmness took over her. She wasn't nervous anymore. His presence made her feel safe. It was as if she knew him. She met him before.

--

Michael's pulse soon came back to normal. Studying her in depth, he couldn't help but feel a sort of magnetic power take over him. She was so mysterious and intriguing. He wanted to know everything about her. It was a feeling he never had before. His shyness always got in the way, but now he felt eager. Eager to get to know her and be in her presence as much as possible. That was his mission.

Her words brought a soft smile across his lips, one that he rarely showed to strangers. "No, it is my pleasure, Reese." He made sure that he pronounced her name correctly and very softly. Even though the room was filled with loud people, he managed to focus only on her. He felt like the whole world stopped for a second. Just for them.

Elizabeth let out a loud chuckle and gave Michael a curious look. She knew that something interesting was going on. She was almost certain that he had a crush on Reese. Some sort of intense physical attraction. Trying not to burst their bubble, she touched Michael's shoulder. "You're alright, dear? You seem quite...distraught." she said with a sarcastic smile.

Michael covered his mouth and giggled innocently. "I'm alright, Liz. Don't worry." With that said, he looked at Reese again. She seemed as distraught as he was. Trying to make things flow more naturally, he moved towards her without any kind of hesitation and looked deep into her green eyes. "Where can I find something to drink?"

She raised her eyebrows, trying her best to act unaffected. "Follow me.", she replied on a soft tone while turning her back. Michael nodded, his heart filled with an intoxicating type of pure bliss. She was like a magnet. He had to get closer.

Finally arriving in a dim corner of the shop, she grabbed a Moet bottle from an ice bucket. Opening it skillfully, the cork popped with a loud sound. The guests soon turned their heads and started clapping. Her assistant was quick to join her, helping with pouring the drinks. Michael was near her, only a few inches between them. For a few moments, she wasn't able to pay attention to him. After all, the other guests were just as important.

As she was skilfully pouring the drinks and handing them to each guest with a natural smile on her face, Michael continued to shamelessly watch her. She was in her element, being the confident businesswoman she was. He studied her facial features, her eyes, the way her lips curled into a smile whenever a guest would want a glass of champagne. He was hypnotized.

Pouring one last glass of champagne for Michael, she handed it to him with a soft smile. He took it and leaned in to kiss her cheek. As his lips touched her cheek, he inhaled her sweet scent. She was a perfumery owner after all. And he wasn't disappointed. She smelled like a summer day.

Reese was taken by surprise once again. She was overwhelmed and completely caught off guard. This man was too unpredictable. She inhaled his scent deeply. What is this perfume he was wearing? Leaning back, she took a quick sip from her own drink, while keeping her eyes fixed on his. Maybe the alcohol would make her less self-conscious.

"Everybody, I would like to make a toast!" The talkative businessmen and women finally kept their mouths shut. A moment of silence. Finally. Looking at Michael almost unconsciously, she parted her lips and said : "Thanks for joining me tonight, friends. It's so important for me to have such lovely, wonderful people around me." Her eyes were still fixed on Michael's. She couldn't look away.

Michael bit his lower lip, realizing that he was going through the same thing. His eyes were literally glued to hers. It was like magic. "...I hope you'll enjoy the rest of this night." Finally, her eyes moved toward the sea of people. "God bless! Thank you once again!"

The guests started cheering and clapping. Her beautiful smile radiated. Michael forgot about everything. He forgot about Liz, about the clock. He was stuck in that beautiful moment. He enjoyed seeing her so happy. But he could sense something...It was some sort of uneasiness about her. There was something almost mystical about her smile. She was perhaps sad and tried to mask her sadness with this confident side of her personality. He could read her like an open book.

The cheering soon ended and Reese's attention moved to Michael. Liz was talking to Donald Trump. She was afraid of making her feel neglected. But Michael was the center of her attention. "Bal de Versailles." she uttered in a perfect French accent. Michael looked at her, puzzled. "Excuse me?" She smiled and shook her head playfully. "You're wearing it. The perfume. Ball de Versailles. Created by Jean Desprez in 1962." Michael's jaw nearly dropped.

"How did you know?" he asked, visibly intrigued. Reese raised a cocky eyebrow. Was he seriously asking her that? "Michael, I own a perfumery. What do you think?" Michael's cheeks turned red. How could he be so silly and make such a fool out of himself? Damn. He needed to step up his game. "You're right...You just caught me off guard, that's all!"

He inched in closer and sniffed her neck playfully. Where did this sudden boost of confidence come from? Usually, he was extremely shy when it came to women. She had a different aura. It was like he knew her from another life. "You smell amazing. Like a summer breeze..." His black curls covered his eyes. Reese could feel her pulse playing tricks on her. He was irresistible.

"Thanks...You know what's funny?" Michael took a sip from his full glass of champagne. He wasn't a huge fan of alcohol in general. "What is?" he asked curiously. Drinking the whole glass just to have more confidence, Reese bit her lip and gave him a sultry look. "I fell asleep listening to your song last night. "

That was it for Michael. He hid his face with both hands and started giggling like a child. "Which one?" he asked shyly.

His reaction made her smile warmly. "I just can't stop loving you." Damn. Michael was still in disbelief. Was she telling the truth? "I recorded that one initially under the bed sheets." He ended up regretting that he said that. Reese bit her lip hard, trying not to giggle like a high school girl. "Oh my. That must've been intense." Michael couldn't help it. He had to turn his back and let out a long laugh. They were teasing each other like two best friends.

"It sure was..." he said playfully. That was not the Michael Jackson people knew. He was a whole different person. Reese looked at the clock. It was 2 AM. Time flew by way too fast. Michael did the same thing. Damn. He had to get back home. Quincy Jones would be in the recording studio early in the morning. Why did his professional life always had to get in the way of his emotions? If it was possible, he would've spent the entire day with Reese.

"Reese, I'm so sorry. I need to get going..."

He grabbed her hand and pulled her closer.