Chapter 7 - Claire Kagenou

Anos exited the palace gates with a calm demeanor and observed the presence of new guards outside. Approaching one of them, he gazed down at the armed dark knight.

"W-What do you want?!" The guard exclaimed in alarm, grasping his sword

"W-What do you want?!" The guard exclaimed in alarm, grasping his sword. Despite the hostility, Anos paid him no attention and proceeded to retrieve the golden insignia given to him by the king from his pocket.

The guard noticed the emblem and paled instantly, dropping to his knees with cold sweat on his face. He apologized profusely to Anos. "Forgive me, sir. I was unaware that you possessed the royal emblem."

"Fumu."

Anos gave a nod in response before continuing on his way. Passing by the other guards who had also spotted the insignia, they instantly stood at attention, saluting him. Upon leaving the palace grounds and entering the street, Anos examined the small emblem in his hand.

The reactions of the humans confirmed that the king's gift was a rare and precious item in the country, with probably fewer than three such insignia in the whole kingdom. This realization reassured Anos that the king was not behind the princess's kidnapping.

Anos breathed a sigh of relief as he realized that the worst-case scenario had been averted. He was grateful that he no longer needed to resort to extreme measures like killing the king to rescue his brother. As he walked through the palace gates earlier, Anos had been mentally half-preparing himself to obliterate the entire castle with his magic.

Had the human king been conspiring against his own brother, he would never have entrusted such a valuable item to Anos. Especially when it gave Anos such a high level of authority over his kingdom's men.

Anos walked through the bustling streets of the capital, his mind focused on the task at hand. He needed to find a lead on the whereabouts of Cid.

As he made his way through the crowd, Anos overheard a group of human knights discussing a recent prisoner interrogation done by the first princess. When he heard them, Anos quickly approached the soldiers and inquired about the prisoner.

The soldiers hesitated at first, but upon seeing the royal emblem in Anos' possession, they quickly divulged the details of the interrogation. Anos learned that his brother was indeed the one being interrogated and that he was taken to a nearby garrison five days ago.

A wave of relief washed over Anos upon receiving the news. Finally, he had a solid lead on his brother's whereabouts. While Anos had the power to teleport directly to Cid's location, he knew it would create more harm than good. Thus, he nodded appreciatively at the knights before hastening his steps toward the said garrison.

As he approached the garrison, Anos took a moment to observe the area. The garrison was heavily guarded, and any attempt to enter unnoticed would be futile.

Anos grew suspicious as he observed the number of guards stationed at the garrison. "This is strange," he thought to himself, "why are they using so many personnel for just one student?" A nagging feeling of concern began to creep up inside him as he considered the possibility that something may have happened to his brother.