Chapter 23 - Promise and Warning

Following Alexia's departure with her royal escorts back to the capital, an unusual quietness enveloped the Kageno estate that evening. The sun had set, casting long shadows that danced with the flickering candlelight in the grand dining room. Mr. and Mrs. Kageno sat at the head of the table, their faces etched with worry. The only other person present with them was their youngest son, Anos Voldigoad, who sat quietly, his crimson eyes reflecting the dancing flames.

"Anos," Mr. Kageno began, his voice heavy with concern. "We received a letter from the royal palace today."

Anos looked up from his plate, his gaze steady. "Oh?" he asked, his tone nonchalant. "What did it say?"

Mrs. Kageno wrung her hands nervously, her eyes darting to her husband for support. "It was from Princess Alexia," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "She... she came to our estate today, looking for you."

Anos' eyes flickered with interest. "Did she now?" he asked, his voice betraying nothing of his thoughts. "And what did she want?"

Mr. Kageno cleared his throat, his gaze meeting his son's. "She didn't say," he admitted. "But her visit has us worried, Anos. She's the second princess of the kingdom, and for her to come all the way here... It's unusual."

Anos remained silent, his thoughts focused elsewhere on the letter from the royal palace. He had half-expected the king to discuss with his parents, but he hadn't expected him to contact them so soon. The human king is bold, Anos really has to give him that much. He wondered what he had told them in the letter that Alexia gave them, and just how much they knew.

"Anos," Mrs. Kageno said, her voice trembling. "We're just a baron family, and you're... you're just a child... a baby. We don't want you to get involved in any political matters. It's dangerous."

Anos looked at his human parents, his gaze softening. They were simple people, content with their peaceful life. They had no idea about his terrifying true identity, nor the unimaginable power he held. To them, he was just their son, a child prodigy with a talent for magic.

"I understand your concerns, dear mother," Anos said, his voice gentle. "But you don't need to worry. I can handle myself."

"But Anos," Mr. Kageno protested, "you're still young. You shouldn't have to deal with these things."

Anos smiled, a small, reassuring smile. "I appreciate your concern," he said. "But I assure you, I'm more than capable of handling this."

His parents shared a worried glance but eventually nodded, placing their trust in their prodigious son. "Alright," Mr. Kageno said, his voice firm. "But promise us you'll be careful, Anos."

Anos responded with a solemn nod, "I promise." Then, a spark of mischief lit up his eyes as he added, "And don't worry, I won't be running off with any princesses anytime soon."

Mrs. Kageno's eyes widened, her hand instinctively clutching her heart. "Anos!" she exclaimed, her voice filled with surprise and a hint of reprimand. "You can't just say things like that!"

Mr. Kageno, however, erupted into laughter, his bald head gleaming under the candlelight. "That's our Anos!" he said, his face beaming with a proud smile. "Always knows how to keep things interesting—*Smack* Ouch!"

At this, Mrs. Kageno playfully smacked her husband's arm, contorting it into an odd angle. "Oh, you baldy! Don't encourage him!" she chided, though her eyes twinkled with amusement.

"Ow... My poor hand..." Mr. Kageno winced, rubbing his broken hand where his wife had 'swatted' him.

Anos, seeing his father's discomfort, casually waved his hand. A soft glow enveloped Mr. Kageno's hand, and his wince was quickly replaced by a look of surprise as the pain instantly vanished. "Well, if I didn't lighten the mood, we'd all be sitting here like a bunch of gloomy goblins," Anos quipped, his tone light and playful at his human parents' antics.