Chapter 9 - Shadow Garden

To clarify what happened after Nee-san and I escaped through the hole in the wall, it's a simple story...

"Hey! Stop right there!"

The dark knights stationed outside the building nabbed me and tossed me back again into another cell. "Nice try you little shit."

"NO! Kuh-! Cid!! Leave him-"

"What is going on here?!"

While Nee-san fought vehemently to stop them, a striking red-haired girl suddenly appeared and ordered my release. She was probably an important character or something, as I later discovered she was none other than Iris Midgar herself, this kingdom's first princess.

After the first princess Iris dragged my Nee-san away for some questioning, I was left to my own devices.

"Get a move on, you fucker."

My back is pushed roughly as I am effectively evicted from the gate of the garrison. Then my belongings are thrown out right after me.

As I am now only in my underwear, I pick up my clothes and shoes and put them on right there and then. Because I no longer have fingernails on either hand, it takes a bit longer than usual.

After I finish arranging myself, I heave a sigh and then walk off.

Dear brother Anos-kun, it is crucial that you do not approach things with a half-hearted effort like this... Because it really sucks. If you decide to start a rescue event, then it is your responsibility as a last-boss character to ensure its completion.

"Mom! Dad! Look!"

"Hey..."

"Yeah..."

The pedestrians going to and fro that I pass all stare at my 'scratches' and bloody appearance.

I heave another sigh.

"Stay calm, me. Stay calm. What's the point of flipping out over a few small potatoes?"

I try my best to not remember the face of the knight who interrogated me while maintaining a calm mind.

"They were merely doing their job."

My wounds are all only superficial, and I can grow my fingernails back whenever I want.

The only reason why I don't is to fully act out my mob character.

"Yes, I am the very definition of calm."

Tranquility.

I take a deep breath. My vision widens back up.

Probing with my senses, I notice some suspicious presence.

"They put two tails on me, huh."

The kidnapper is yet to be found. Naturally, Alexia's safety is still unconfirmed.

My head is not so full of daisies that I think I have been acquitted. They didn't have enough evidence, but my name is definitely still on the list of suspects.

I keep my face down and pretend to be haggard and exhausted while making my way back to my dorm.

Along the way.

"Later..."

A really, really tiny voice reaches my ears.

Accompanied by the faint smell of a familiar perfume.

"Alpha, huh..."

The avenues are extremely crowded in the evenings. Her figure is nowhere to be seen.

—-------------------------------------------------