Chapter 1 - The fall

It's a rainy night in New York, a Man walks out of a pet shop holding in his hand a small glass tank with four young turtles each one with a tag on their wrist with each of their names writen on it, a truly adorable scene, right? Well... yeah, until they all get mutated by an alien chemical called "Mutagen" in an alleyway, it was a terrible experience for the man, who had a long and painful transformation that got him on his knees and hands, bearing a feeling of despair and an incomprehensible pain, while the turtles were having a less stressful time for their mutation, they could barely feel anything different, one of the turtles, Raphael, looks confused, he two of his brothers slowly changing into strange shaped creatures, until he hears the chirping of his other brother, the rain made a water flow going to the street, and his brother, Michelangelo, was being carried away by the water, he was upside down and couldn't move, Raphael tried to save his little brother by holding him by the shell.

Sadly, he wasn't strong enough to keep it still and ended up being carried along with him, the two fell inside of a manhole leading to the sewers, the current was strong and heavy and they were almost seperated many times, but with their new mutant hands, the two boys were able to hold onto eachother no matter what until they dragged themselves closer and embraced eachother in a big tight hug, as well as wrapping their legs into one another to hold on more firmly, they held eachother for a while until they met more calm waters in the bottom of the drain where they're finally able to let go and relax, still holding hands just to make sure they won't lose eachother or get lost.

They fall asleep and float around for a bit until they stumble on the shore of the sewers where a strange old man is having lunch after a long day of working on sewer pipes, he sees the strange looking reptiles crawling out of the water visibly exhausted and walks over there to check on them, he might be a bit old but he can clearly see that there's something really off with those little guys, they look and act similar to actual human children, he worries that they might be dangerous but upon closer inspection he sees that they are as harmless as a pillow, they're just babies, cute and oblivious, unable to hurt a fly, the old man takes pity on the poor beings and takes them to an resting room that was meant for employees and people who work on that section of the undergrounds.

It's awfully empty, this section in particular is going to be shut down in order to build a subway track that will have to pass by one of the tunnels around there, it's pretty far from where they are now but it will all have to be abandoned in the end, the old man is the last one of the workers of that section and he was originally just there to finish some services to close the place up, but now, he found a reason to come by his beloved workplace more often than just occasional visits, he decides to leave the turtles there as their new home and he would come by every day to care for them, like: bring them food, give them some attention, stuff like that, he sees the small tags still attached to their wrists with their names writen on it, Raphael and Michelangelo, wow.... those are quite a mouthful names for turtles,but he accepted it.

He was a lonely man, no family or friends, not even a wife, and now that he was going to get forcefully retired, so he pretty much has all the time in the world to do mostly anything he wants, he's still quite healthy for his age tho, so some daily visits to the underground shouldn't weigh on him too much, the room was pretty big, like a house os sorts, it had a bathroom, kitchen and some unused rooms, a fairly decent place to call home, he wrapped the turtles up on a blanket and left them in the main area for a moment while he got them something to eat, he put some lettuce leafs on a plate and brought it to the young boys who were already awake and exploring the surroundings, they ate the leafs and played around for a long time, which gave the old man a good look into these creature's behaviors and how human like they really are, they're identical to regular human babies, from the way the crawl to the way they act, it was both bizarre and fascinating, also being tremendously cute and adorable, to him, it really began to feel like those were his children, who he now vowed to care for from now on.

During this time, the man who was getting mutated earlier just recovered from that frightening and painful experience, and is finally able to get up in his feet, he is still a bit dizzy and can't quite put his thoughts together, he looks around for his turtle pets, he finds the last two turtles and slightly freaks out, looking back and fourth trying to find the last remaining turtles, going through garbage and searching every corner possible until a noise caught his attention, someone was coming their way, in a moment of panic, he jumped and climbed the stairs by the side of the building and made his way up, when he looked down, he saw a regular woman taking out her trash after the rain was gone, the man kept climbing up and reached the rooftop, he sat down and gave a good look on himself, he had became a rat, a nasty creature carrying two mutated turtles, he still felt the weight of the loss of his two youngests turtles, unsure of what had happened while he was incapacitated, he assumed they were taken away by the cruel men who mutated them.

The he guilt of letting that happen fell on him, he followed the strangers into the alleyway, he let them infect him and his pet turtles with that horrible substance, not even being able to fight for them, it was all his fault, he got a sad look from the two turtles, Leonardo and Donatello, who crawled their way to him and embraced the sad man in a soft and cute hug, upon seeing this, the rat man felt his heart soften and melt, he was brought back by the kindness of his turtles, now with the humanoid baby-like features, he realized that now they'll need him more than just their "owner", they will need him as a father, something he was not fully sure if he could be, he wasn't able to be a father for his own child years ago, but maybe, this was an opportunity, another chance to make things right, he picked up his sons and held them against his chest for a hug, they liked it, from now on, he decided to dedicate his life to protect them from all evil and take care of them as their father and master, he would teach him about the art of ninjutsu and they would grow up to be great and honorable ninja warriors, that meant a possible rebirth of the Hamato clan.