ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ¹⁰

10. k i s s o f c o l l i s i o n
————————————————————————

—————————— g a e l ———————————

"Are you well enough to act like an adult, while I step out," I ask as I glare over at Elijah.

His red eyes stare back at me, void of any emotion, as he sends me a wordless nod. I don't believe him, but I don't have many choices but to put my trust in him right now.

"I'm gonna go get Chandler. You can stay here and look pretty or whatever the fuck you want... just don't throw up again." I turn off the car and open the door, not waiting for a response as I slip out.

"Wait—" Elijah calls out just before I close my door and walk away.

"What now?"

"Won't you need help?" Elijah asks. "At least until backup can come and arrest the guy?"

"And who's gonna help me until then?" I say, adding more sharpness to my tone then needed.

"Me. I feel a lot better... more normal now." He drops his eyes from mine and stares down at his hands that mindlessly fidget in his lap.

I nod my head with a disbelieving chuckle, "If you say so. I just need you to hold him well enough until someone from the station can come and pick him up, while I take Chandler back home."

"I can do it."

"Yeah, I hope so." Then I'm finally closing the door, not waiting on Wilkinson before I'm racing over to the bar's front entrance.

It doesn't take long to spot Chandler as she sits in front of the building. She's cradled into herself, with her arms covering her face, but it can't block out the emotions of sadness wafting off of her as I draw closer.

It's like a gust of snapping wind that smacks against your body and sends a cold shiver down your spine as it sinks into your bones.

It's a glaring red light telling me to stop, but something keeps drawing me in; she keeps drawing me in.

"Chandler..." I call out softly as I slowly walk to her. "Hey, baby, open your eyes for me," I say as I squat down in front of her.

The endearment slips out before I can think better of it, but thankfully Chandler doesn't bring any attention to it.

I don't even know if she realizes what I had said— it's cowardice, but I'm grateful for her momentary oblivion.

I push a piece of fallen hair away from her face and behind her ear as I wait for her to open up for me.

"You're safe now. I'm here, ok?" And slowly but surely she begins to unravel and throws herself right into my arms as she wordlessly digs her face into my neck.

"Do you know where the man is? Is he still here?" I ask, gently rubbing her back as I stand up and wrap her legs around my middle.

"I saw him last in the very back alleyway of the club. It's an enclosed area, so he may still be there, but if not, I know exactly what he looks like and can point him out in a lineup," she explains in a whisper.