XVII. The Story Of Us

This is looking like a contest

Of who can act like they care less

But I liked it better when you were on my side

The battle's in your hands now

But I would lay my armor down

If you'd say you'd rather love than fight

Jaehaera and the others sat in the boat as her father's men rowed them down the river still. Osferth and Jaehaera sat together and talked while Finan and the other two did the same closer to her father. He lay resting underneath the tent. "How long do you plan on staying mad at Sihtric?" Osferth asked her cautiously. Jaehara picked at the skin around her nails.

"I don't know," she answered when he covered her hands with his to get her to stop. "I'm always mad at him," she lied. Jaehaera lifted her head to see Skade talking with her father, she rolled her eyes and then looked away. "I didn't think I would ever say this, monk, but I miss Beocca," Jaehaera told him. "Mainly Thyra, but still Beocca as well."

Osferth nodded, "they are your family," he told her. "It makes sense you miss them. We will return to them soon."

"You are kind," Jaehaera told him. "Something I appreciate most about you. So many Christians aren't and you are one of few I'm afraid."

Osferth smiled, "you are as well, lady," he told her. The two shared a look. "When you want to be that is." Soon they docked the boat at the Coccham docks, though, she questioned as to why they were there. Her father couldn't possibly still have Coccham for his land, she thought as they walked from the dock to the gates.

"Is the idea we simply walk into Coccham like we've never been away?" Finan asked, seemingly thinking the same as Jaehaera. Jaehaera followed after the pair with Osferth by her side.

"Yes," Her father answered.

"Straight to the hall?" Finan asked.

"Yes," her father answered cheerfully.

"And if another lord resides there?" the Irishman questioned one more time.

"We ask him to leave, my friend," Uhtred replied.

"I can do that," Finan answered. Jaehaera watched as Finan looked behind them at Skade, and then spoke with her father in hushed tones. She wanted to know what they were saying but figured Finan would tell her later. They walked through the gates with little to no refusal. Then a man called Edwin, she remembered, walked up to them.

"Lord, you will not remember me," He told her father.

Uhtred smiled, "I remember you," he corrected. "You're married to Mildwynn." She looked around at men piling carts with what looked to be their preparations for winter. Two carts were full and now they were filling a third.

"Lord," Edwin began once more. "They have taken more than half our winter's store. Animals and grain." Jaehaera and the others watched and waited for Uhtred to tell them what to do. "They say it is to feed Alfred's army, but we will certainly starve."

A child almost ran into Jaehaera's legs, but she stopped him gently, holding his arm so he didn't fall to the ground. She smiled down at the little boy, he had a dirty face that reminded her of her brother. She handed him an apple from her pack before sending him back to his mother. He smiled up at her thankfully before running off again. "Who did this?" Jaehaera asked Edwin angrily. Her father nodded in agreement, she beat him to the question.