XXVI. Come Together

He say I know you, you know me

One thing I can tell you is you got to be free

Come together, right now, over me

Jaehaera, Young Uhtred, and Sihtric rode together on their journey. They rode through Peacford now. "It's them, I know her horse anywhere," Jaehaera told the other two she rode with. Aethelflaed and Aldhelm must have heard their horses because they made their horses break off in a run ahead of them. Quickly, uhtred, Jaehaera, and Sihtric followed after them in hopes they wouldn't lose them. They had caught sight of their now abandoned horses, and Jaehaera and Sihtric knew they had to be hidden somewhere in this forest. The three of them had not meant to scare them, but Jaehaera did take a little bit of joy in the fact. The three of them got down from their horse and stood above them where the other two hid.

Sihtric smirked at Jaehaera and Young Uhtred, "Lady Aethelflaed," Sihtric called out, lowering his voice to make it sound different. "We know you're there!"

Young Uhtred smirked at his sister's boyfriend, but Jaehaera just rolled her eyes. Though Uhtred could see the smirk she was trying to hide. Jaehera watched as Aldhelm climbed out of their hiding spot and up to where the three of them stood. Aldhelm only recognized Sihtric because of Jaehaera who stood next to him, and he couldn't hide his relief. "Sihtric," he greeted. He sighed. "Lady, it's Jaehaera and Uhtred's men." Aethelflaed soon appeared with them looking tired but relieved. Jaehaera smiled at her and she returned it. "Thank God it's the three of you."

"My Lady," Sihtric smiled and bowed his head in greeting as the other two did the same. "Aldhelm," he greeted as well as the two shook hands. "You are not easy to find."

"Did Uhtred send you?" Aethelflaed asked. Obviously, Jaehaera thought, but she just nodded. "What news of my daughter?"

"She is safe," Jaehaera answered. "Uhtred has returned to Aegelesburg to bargain for your protection."

"And is Aelfwynn with him?" Aethelflaed asked. Sihtric and Jaehaera shared a look.

"She is being cared for," Sihtric answered gently. "But..she became unwell."

"The sickness?" she asked sadly.

"It may not be," Uhtred spoke quickly and hopefully. "She's traveled a great distance."

Aethelflaed nodded, "Take me to her." Jaehaera, young Uhtred, and Sihtric all shared a look. Praying to their different gods that Osferth and Eadith would still be there helping her when they got there.

They led them to where Osferth had last told them that they would be, but when their group at reach the forest, they found no one. The tents were empty. Aethelflaed came out of the main tent, and Jaehaera's heart sank. The air surrounding this place felt heavy and frantic. She looked at Sihtric and Uhtred and shook her head. "What? What is it?" Sihtric asked her gently.

"I don't know, but it's nothing good," Jaehaera answered quietly. "There's sadness and..and worry? I don't know the energy and feeling is hard to read."

Aldhelm returned from speaking with the woman they found here. "She says your daughter passed into the next life," he informed not only Aethelflaed but the other three as well. Jaehaera's eyes widened and her heart sank. Jaehaera took Sihtric's arm in her hand. Jaehaera felt her eyes begin to water, but she blinked them away. "And her body was taken to Aegelesburg," Aethelflaed said nothing but sniffled before walking past Aldhelm and to her horse once more.

"Aethelflaed," Jaehaera called softly, but the woman did not answer. Jaehaera looked at Sihtric and Her brother with sadness. Part of her did not believe it. She did not feel death, or taste it in the air when they had reached here.