XXV. Safe & Sound

Just close your eyes,

the sun is going down

You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now

Come morning light,

you and I'll be safe and sound

"Stop crying," Stiorra commanded Aelfwynn that sat crying while the cart continued. Aelfwynn let her legs dangle off the back of the cart while she held on. "I can't bear it."

"Be kind," Young Uhtred corrected his sister before Jaehaera could. "She wants her mother."   

"We survived without a mother," Stiorra pointed out while the group continued. "You must be stronger. Be grateful." Jaehaera shook her head but said nothing. Sihtric looked at her from his horse and smiled at her. "Better this than being wed to an old man." That Jaehaera had to agree with. Aelfwynn ignored Stiorra and continued to cry, but more quietly. She hadn't learned the art of silent tears, but she would, just like Jaehaera had.   

When her father and Finan stopped, the rest did as well. Sihtric, Jaehaera, and Rickon rode up to the front with Osferth to look out in front of them with the other two. "Do we stop?" Rickon asked when they reached the rest.

Finan shook his head, "No." Jaehaera also shook her head. "Edward and his men will be half a day behind us a most. We must move faster to have any chance."   Stiorra and Young Uhtred turned to look behind them when they heard hooves coming up quickly at the back of the group. Jaehaera heard as well and went back to the children with Sihtric close behind her. A woman with bright auburn hair and a dark blue cloak stopped in front of the two while the others came up behind them to stop her. "I bring a message from Lady Aethelflaed," the woman spoke to her father as he came to rest on the other side of Jaehaera.   

"Did your brother send you?" Uhtred asked the woman, apparently knowing the woman, and that she had a brother. Sihtric and Jaehaera looked at him, and so did the other three. They all looked between the two of them.   

"No," the woman answered. "He does not know I'm here. He imprisoned Lady Aethelflaed, but I released her."    Jaehaera raised an eyebrow at the woman, not believing her straight away. But Jaehaera also didn't get any negative feelings from the woman either, they would have to be cautious, but her father and the others knew that already.

"Why should I believe you?" Her father asked.   

"I do not lie," the woman answered. Jaehaera looked at the woman's eyes, and so no trace of a lie in them. She didn't seem like the type to lie about her brother or even for him.   

"How did you find us?" Uhtred asked.   

"Lady Aethelflaed herself said you spoke of traveling the road to Ceaster," the woman answered.    Rickon came riding back to the group after turning and riding back the way she came to see if anyone followed.

"No one else lord," Rickon told Uhtred.   

Jaehaera tilted her head, "and you took the road alone?" she asked. This woman was either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid. Maybe a bit of both. Jaehaera liked her.   

The woman looked at Jaehaera, "yes," she answered. Then she looked back at Uhtred. "She wants you to meet her at the ruins of Saint Milburg's Priory."   

"St. Milburg is on the way to Wenloca, and we have passed it," Young Uhtred informed their father.

"It might be a trick to divert us," Finan pointed out, but inwardly Jaehaera shook her head. She didn't get that feeling from the woman at all.