XXIII. Make It Out Alive

And as we cross over to the other side

I know with you it'll be alright

And when we're gone and our families cry

You'll take my hand and hold on tight

I know we won't make it out alive

Jaehaera stood with Sihtric in Aethelflaed's hall in Aegelesburg. "Oh, Lord," Her brother prayed over the bodies of dead children a few feet away. "Grant us the knowledge of your power when it comes to pass that man and wife may bring a child into this world. They clothe him. They cherish him, but God alone may know his fate." Jaehaera, Rickon, and Sihtric covered them individually, and with all the gentleness in them. "These children were in darkness. Now they are saved. Bring them the light of your love, Lord God...and let them walk as children of light."

"Where are they?" Her father came walking quickly into the hall angrily. Sihtric and Rickon looked over at him at once. Jaehaera kept a hand on Sable's back as the wept to provide her comfort. "Why is she not ready?" The 'she' her father spoke of had to be both Jaehaera and Aethelflaed, but the two paid him no mind.

"They mourn the dead," Sihtric answered him. Together the three walked to them.

".. then he who considers before his soul's departure," her brother continued. Jaehaera gently lifted Sable to her feet, and now the two stood next to Aethelflaed. "How worthy he may be deemed after his death."

"There is no time for this," Uhtred told the two women softly so no one else would hear. Jaehaera turned her head away from her brother and looked at her father flatly.

"They are children, Uhtred," Athelflaed answered. "Sons of Mercia's most revered men." Aldhelm gently placed another down with the others and Jaehaera sighed and rested her head on Sihtric's shoulder as he came to stand with her. His arm wrapped around her waist. Aethelflaed took in a rocky breath. "When did children become the cost of war?" she asked Jaehaera's father as her voice broke.

Uhtred wrapped an arm around her as well. "You did all that you could," he told her gently. Young Uhtred continued to pray. "Now, come," he told them both.

Jaehaera shook her head and looked up at Sihtric. "They took their heads," she whispered weakly, then she looked at her father after taking a broken inhale. "All of them." Uhtred and Sihtric looked at each other. Sihtric held her in his arms against his chest.

"We must move off before the Danes know that you are here," Uhtred told Aethelflaed.

She looked at Uhtred in frustration and sadness, "not until they have been blessed!"

"Aethelflaed, please-"

"Not until they have been blessed," Aethelflaed repeated once more with more sternness in her voice.

"Danes!" Finan's voice called into the hall. "The Danes are here, Lord!"

Sihtric moved Jaehaera behind him as he, Uhtred, and Rickon moved together. "They're heading towards the gates!" The tree walked from the hall with Jaehaera and Aethelflaed close behind. She motioned for her brother to stay where he was with the others, and he nodded.

"How many?" Uhtred asked.

"Too many, Lord," He answered as he and Osferth came running inside the hall. 

Uhtred moved both Jaehaera and Aethelflaed back into the hall. "Stay back, Aethelflaed," he told her, "seeing you will inflame them. Go! Upstairs now!" Aethelflaed looked at Jaehaera, and she nodded.