XVIII. Something in the Orange

And I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't

'Cause if I say I miss you I know that you won't

But I miss you in the mornings when I see the sun

Something in the orange tells me we're not done

Take me back to us dancing, this wood used to creak

Jaehaera and Sihtric continued to run through the streets of Wintanceaster, and now Sihtric chased after her. Jaehaera weaved in and out of the crowd, running through the alehouse porch while her friends and family continued to watch. They ran into a small alleyway, and Sihtric finally caught her. Jaehaera yelped but quickly laughed loudly with Sihtric. His laughter and hers bounced between the walls.

Sihtric turned Jaehaera to him while he kept her in his arms, the two caught their breath, holding each other and chuckling. "You always seem to be running from me," he told her.

"Because you are always chasing me," Jaehaera answered. "Relentlessly coming for me."

"Men often chase after beautiful things," Sihtric told her. "I will chase after you all my days, as I have told you before. I could spend years running after you and never grow tired." He rested his forehead on hers which she allowed.

"Sihtric," she began tiredly and began to pull away.

"I know," he answered her. He brushed her hair from her face and then dropped his arms to his side. "Come on, we should get back."

Jaehaera only nodded before following him back to the others. Thyra had waited for Jaehaera to walk back to her home. She needed to get a few things from the market for food, and Jaehaera gladly went with her. They were walking back to Thyra's home when a man bumped into Thyra on purpose, almost making her aunt spill the things in her hands. "Danes," he cursed. His main focus is on Thyra.

Jaehaera glared at him and moved in front of Thyra, "apologize," Jaehaera commanded.

"No, I don't think I will," the man answered slyly. "Say it, say you are danes." Jaehaera scoffed and so did Thyra. "Danish whores. Say it."

"I will rip out your tongue if you dare say one more thing," Jaehaera threatened, still blocking him from getting close to Thyra. The man shoved Jaehaera, and she shoved him back harder. "We are proud to be danes."

"And I am proud to be the wife of a Saxon priest," Thyra added gently, but her voice was strong and proud. "I am of two peoples." she took Jaehaera by the sleeve as best she could and tried to walk them away from the man. Jaehaera's eyes bore holes into the man's skull as she began to walk with Thyra.

The man stopped them, by stepping into their path. Jaehaera closed her eyes in an effort to remain calm. She couldn't drop a body in broad daylight. "I am of two peoples," the man mocked her aunt. "That doesn't make sense, does it."

"Do you have bread where your brain should be?" Jaehaera asked, genuinely wanting to know. "What part did you not understand? That she is a dane? No, you understand that very well. Or is it that she's married to a priest? That means she is both dane, and now saxon by marriage. I can understand where you might have gotten confused seeing as you are a man with a head full of sawdust."

Thyra placed a calm hand on Jaehaera's arm, "I wish to live in peace," she spoke to the man while once more pulling her niece away.

"How dare you talk to me that way you filthy dane whore," the man spoke to Jaehaera, getting into her face.