I Have Questions

Avery's pov

In the morning, I wake up and to my surprise, it isn't from a nightmare, it's from the delicious smell of cheap, greasy burgers. I push myself up into a sitting position before remembering I hurt my wrist so I move onto the other hand and push myself up. I look around the room and see a greasy bag sitting on the coffee table so I walk over to it and grab a burger out of the bag before sitting on the couch and pulling a blanket over my lap.

I'm about half way through my burger before Cam walks into my room and jumps when she she's me on the couch and not in bed. "You're eating," she says, making me confused as to why she's pointing out the obvious.

"I'm so sorry," I say, covering my mouth as I talk with my mouth full. "I was just so hungry and they were right there."

She smiles and grabs another burger before sitting down next to me. "No, it's okay. They were for you anyway," she says, taking a bite of hers.

"Are you okay? You've been acting weird since last night," I say, putting my burger down and turning to face her.

"I should be the one asking that, not you," she says, smiling and turning to face me. "It's just-" she starts to say but stops before ducking and shaking her head.

"What is it," I say, reaching forward and putting my hand on her leg.

"It's you," she says, looking up at me with serious but sad eyes.

"What do you mean?" I ask, taking my hand off of her leg and looking at her in confusion.

She laughs at me, making me more confused. "You're beautiful and smart and you have this whole life behind you that you haven't let go of yet and that fucking hurts because I know that I don't stand a chance if they're here," she says, like she's been meaning to tell me this for a while.

"Cam, I just got here..." I start to say as I feel my gaze soften before she interrupts me.

"Look, I don't care about what happened last night to make you freak out but I do about those boys. I know one's your brother and I'm-" she says but I interrupt her this time.

"My mom hit me," I say, looking up at her with no softness, no kindness, none of that.

"What?"

"She used to come up to me, just like Caleb did last night, and hit me. Sometimes across the face, sometimes across my arms or back," I say, watching as her eyes drift down to the few scars on my arms. "I know you saw my back last night so I didn't think this would come as a surprise."

"Avery," she starts to say but fades off.

"I don't want your sympathy. I've had enough of that from the boys."

She nods before looking up at me. "Does Willie know?"

"No, and I'd feel better if he didn't," I say, my voice wavering just slightly enough for her to notice before she brings me into a hug. It takes me a while to register what just happened and what I just told her before I wrap my arms around her as well. We stay like that for a moment before I remember what she said a moment before my little outburst. "So you really like me?" I ask, laughing slightly.

"Oh, no, not at all," she says as she pulls away and puts her hands on my cheeks, looking me dead in the eye. She leans in and places a kiss on my lips as I'm frozen in shock. We kissed last night but that was just a peck, this is a full on love kind of kiss. When she pulls away I stand up immediately. "What? What's wrong?"

"I-um, I need to go talk to Willie for a second," I say quickly, not entirely lying.

"Oh, okay," she says, standing up. "I'll leave so that you can get changed," she says getting up.