Pretty Much Human

Avery's pov

"Luke!" I yell, looking back at the bathroom door but stopping when I see Julie peeking her head out of the door.

"Are they dead?" She asks quietly like a little kid.

I stand up before putting a hand on Alex's back and pushing him into the bathroom with Julie. "I- just stay in here for now. Luke, can you come out here with me," I say as he nods and joins me in the bedroom, closing the bathroom door.

"What's going on?" He asks, walking to where Cam and Willie are.

"I'm about to check if Willie's dead and I really don't want to do that alone," I say, picking at the skin beside my nails.

"What about Cam?"

"She groaned so she's awake," I say, crouching down to where I just was.

He crouches down next to me and places a hand on my back, making me flinch again before I sigh out of frustration. I know I can't help when I flinch but that doesn't mean I don't get frustrated by it.

"Do you need me to do anything?" He asks as I turn to look at him, his face mirroring the one emotion I'm feeling right now. Dread.

I sigh, closing my eyes for a second before opening them again. "I just need you to hold her legs so that if she wakes up she can't kick us."

He widens his eyes and shakes his head before sitting down on the back of Cam's legs. "What about her arms?" He asks, still not taking his eyes off of me.

I reach into the pocket of Cam's dress and pull out the shard of glass I saw when she walked into the room just a few moments ago. "She'll just choke us instead of stab us," I say, smiling tightly as I tuck it into my pajama short's pocket.

I hear him sigh as I move Cam's hair out the way of Willie's neck, wincing again as if I didn't just see it.

"What is it?" He asks, leaning forward but I stop him when Willie's neck starts to bleed more.

"Her nails, they, um," I say but stop when I feel myself start to gag. "She always made sure her nails were long and now her long nails, well they're in Willie."

He hangs his head and sighs quietly before looking back up. "So he's..." he says, trailing off,

"Yeah," I say with a sigh.

"So what do we do?" He asks, running a hand through his hair to get it out of his face.

"We should probably cover him up so that Alex doesn't see him," I say before yanking the quilt off of the bed onto the floor.

"I didn't think people could die here," he says quietly as I slowly start to pull Cam's fingers out of Willie's neck.

"It's not as uncommon as you think," I say, not taking my eyes off of Willie's neck, making sure he doesn't bleed more than he already has. "We're pretty much human again here. Can't walk through walls, can't poof places, can move objects without struggle. It's kinda nice except when feeling human comes with consequences," I say, looking up at him but he's staring at my hands.

"How are you so calm right now? You're literally taking someone's fingers out of someone's neck," he asks, sounding almost concerned.

I move to the other side and start taking out Cam's right hand. "Whenever Jules gave me her earbuds I would listen to music or some podcast about serial killers. Plus, there's not much to do around here so I'd just watch whatever was on and sometimes that was documentaries or hospital shows," I say but stop myself from saying more so that he doesn't think I'm in on this.